first cooledit venture

rats

ok, I've got my first track recorded, supposedly...but when I try to play it back it times out at 0:29.982.

I'm in multitrack mode...

Also, when I was recording the track, at about 0:29, the waveform display for that track split into two seperate displays within the track display for that track.

Please enlighten me!

I dont know what happened with that other thread. I dont even know what a veture is for that matter.

But I've got another question: what is a full duplex sound card? I have an SB Live, how does that compare? How does this effect the way I record/ playback already recorded tracks while I record?

At the bottom of your playback screen, on the right hand side, the playback is set to only playback the first 30 seconds. You can adjust it to play the full amount of your song.

Paul

In Multitrack, see the six little yellow buttons to the left of the track counter? After you've recorded a track, you can click on the third button, top row, to view the whole track, and you can then play the whole track uninterruptedly. Mine does this automatically, so you can obviously make this a default setting, but I don't know how.

If your soundcard's full duplex, it means you it'll play back tracks at the same time you're recording new tracks, which means you can overdub. Dunno bout SB live. Full duplex is the way to go, though.

SB Live is full duplex.

Dobro is correct if you are zoomed way in on the horizontal plane. Cool Edit only plays what is displayed.

rats said:
haha very funny there is no"playback screen".

Sorry man, not trying to be silly, I guess I meant the main screen. Here's what I have down in the bottom right corner:

http://www.72mm.com/paul/playback.gif

(img code is off, so I guess you'll have to click the link to see what I mean)

Notice how it says 29.999 under End (that's what I meant by playback screen) - if I extend that time it doesn't cut me off when playing back.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks Dobro for the guidance, that's precisely what I was looking for.

Thank you Sultan for the confirmation.

Thanks Duffer for the good try. I believe what you are referring to is the time display fields in the multitrack view.

Here's another problem for you:

I've recorded two tracks in CE from my original 4track recording on the Tascam by mixing down 1 track at a time from the Tascam to CE. Now I have these 2 tracks of music that were at one time in time with each other: How do I sync them back up in CoolPro?

If they are in the same time frame as far as playback speed, then just a drag of the wave forms to line them up. If not then you may need to do a time stretch transform. I would think they are just not aligned on the grid tho since they came from the same machine. Does that make sense?

yes that makes sense I think. What steps do you need to take to drag the tracks to where they need to be? How do you know where to drag it to to be sure it's going to be in sync? Does this process include the "find beats" feature?

thanks for input.

You will mainly need yer ears. If the time is the same fer both tracks, then zoom in close and get a good visual, then give it a listen.. Don't count on the system to do it right for ya. You be the judge, you will know when it's right.

If the pieces are in different speed zones then you need to do some carefull zooming and find the exact start and end times of the one you like, then the same to the other to know what you have to work with. Then stretch the short or long one to the specs of the first track. Does that make sense?

Let me know.

I think so.
I guess I won't really know until I go home and do it.
I'll let you know what comes of it.
Thanks again.

no this isn't seeming to be as easy as I expected.
How do you drag a track?
I'm trying the splice option but I can't get it to work.
Help says the splice happens at the current cursor point or selection, in which case the selection would be spliced out..ok so? That doesn't really get very specific.
What consists of a "selection"? Highlighted area?

It seems to me that if I click splice with the cursor in the beginning of the track, and then at the end, that I should be able to drag it, but it's like a fucking immovable sword-in-the-stone.

And what are those pesky little connect-the-dots white blocks down the center of the track wave display that move around when I click on them?

And another thing, is dragging done here like in Windows: highlight, point, click, hold, drag, release?

rats said:
And another thing, is dragging done here like in Windows: highlight, point, click, hold, drag, release?

Yeah, except for you click and drag with the RIGHT button instead of the normal left-click and drag of Windos.

As for lining things up, you might also zoom into the area where a particular beat it peaked on the wav file. If you left click there it will put the yellow line, and you can use that as a guide point to bring the next wav file in line with it.

Paul

another thing that will help/hinder is the SNAP TO options up top... like SNAP TO WAVEFORM or QUE... fool with those.

xoox

That sounds like a snap!!!!

Thanks again for the sound advise (no pun intended...well maybe a little)

Back