Fade out - Fade in

Diocrew

Hello everyone!

I am new here and I think I have found a new home.

I am trying to figure a way to edit "breaks" in live concert tracks using Cooledit 2.0. I don't know if I can explain this easily or not. Is there a way to fade out one track while fading in another track? For example I would like to edit out commercials of some FM broadcasts. I would like to take out the commercials so that there is a "seamless" transition from the ending of one song, with audience noise, to the next song.

I don't know if I explained well enough what I am trying to do but if anyone understands my idea I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mike

Let's say you're starting with one track, which you load into Cool Edit.

Okay, make a clone of that track, and bung it into the neighboring track. Now, you got the original in Track 1, and its clone in Track 2.

Start with the part you want to fade out on Track 1 (let's call it Song One). Using volume envelopes, fade it out the way you want to, and then cut everything that follows the fade (you do this in Edit View).

Now go to Track 2. Find the bit you want to fade into (let's call it Song Two). Using the volume envelopes again, fade it in the way you want it. Then cut everything *before* the fade. After that, drag Track 2 leftwards until Song Two is where it should be in relation to Song One.

Highlight both tracks. Click Edit>Mix Down To File>Mono. It'll show you the result in Edit View. Click Edit>Insert in Multitrack. Go back to Multitrack View and the new track will be waiting for you there somewhere. Drag it all the way to the left.

It's your new track with the fades where you want them.

Repeat as necessary.

Dobro,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will try your suggestion tonight. I am not familiar with some of your terminology such as "envelope" but I will try to figure it out.

Mike

The volume envelopes are in the second to last group of boxes- it says dB with a crooked green line above it. Make sure it's clicked and the fifth box to it's right is also clicked-it has a group of squares connected by a similar green line.

On your audio tracks, you should see a green line at the very top. Click on that line to create a new little white box, like the one on the button (or just grab the one at the end of your file) Drag it down slowly to fade. You can create as many points as you want. Your track's amplitude will follow the loudness set by the curve (think of it as an automated volume fader, which is exactly what it is)

I'd suggest hitting Edit-->Mix Down to File->All waves. I don't know why Dobro suggested you do a mono mix, unless he assumed your tracks from the radio were already mono.

There's plenty of info on envelopes in the HELP section.

-Chris

I guess I am a moron because I just realized this was a forum for Cooledit Pro and I have CE2000. I don't know what the differences between the two are.

Anyway, one thing I just tried is taking the last song of the concert before it cut to a commercial and saved it as songone. Then I took the next song after the commercials were over and saved it as tracktwo.

I opend songone by itself and highlighted the last second and a half or so of the song before it cut to commercial and used the >transform>amplitude>amplify setting and started at 100% and faded to 0%. Then saved the file but left it open.

Then I opened songtwo but faded in at the first 1 second and half or so at the begining of that track using the transform>amplitude>amplify tool. I then saved this track, copied it and closed it.

I was then left with trackone open. I put the "curser" right on the section where track one begins to fade out and pasted tracktwo at that point.

I ended up with a pretty decent splice and you could hardly tell, if at all, that this was where the commecial originally was. Now all that is left to do is save them as two seperate tracks and I am good to go.

If anyone has any other ideas I would sure like to hear them.

Thanks to Dobro and Chris for putting me on the right "track".

<I was then left with trackone open. I put the "curser" right on the section where track one begins to fade out and pasted tracktwo at that point.>

I need to make a correction on this. I put the curser where I wanted and clicked on the Mix Paste icon and selected the overlap mix radio button. I guess this allows the first track to fade out and the next track to fade in.

Mike

"I'd suggest hitting Edit-->Mix Down to File->All waves. I don't know why Dobro suggested you do a mono mix, unless he assumed your tracks from the radio were already mono."

cuz I do everything in mono

doesn't everyone?

LOL

I don't do everything in mono.

I do the main vocals in mono, I do the adlibs in stereo, the hook in layers, of mono or stereo depending on the feel Im looking for.

If this was mentioned then forgive me, but I see everyone saying more or less you can adjust the volume bit by bit..maybe Im wrong, Im runnin on 0 sleep in 3 days, but when you take the wave form into the single session where you can apply effects, you simply highlight the front, or end of the vocal wave, about however many seconds you wish you have fade in or out, click the last tab on the effects browser, and click fade in, or fade out.

Yeah, it was a rather infelicitous attempt at the elucidation of a fairly straightforward issue, wasn't it? :) But maybe it's connected to the doing of adlibs in stereo?

Damn, it's so easy to get thin and unconnected on lack of sleep.

Back