An extremely urgent question and a comment

plato

The question:

I've been using CEP 2.1 for awhile, but all of a sudden a couple days ago it started crashing whenever I attempt to record in the multitrack. I can record fine in the wave editor and my other software. I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I've tried uninstalling new software, reinstalling CEP, ending unnecessary processes, cleaning out ad-ware, showing the monitor my middle finger, ending necessary processes, anything you can think of, I've tried it, unless you can think of something that works. In that case, I have not tried it and I urge you to share... I am running Windows XP.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your feedback on this topic: if you have any idea what could be causing this, or have had the same problem and fixed it, or just have a hunch, please share. Thanks!

The comment:

Also feel free to respond to this in this thread if you like, I don't know if there is another thread for it or not, but the comment is as follows:

Adobe Audition is the most effing retarded name on the planet. It is made infinitely worse by the fact that Cool Edit Pro was a sweet name. At least it's not as stupid as Pro Tools (pro tools for what profession, I might ask...) but it is still pretty dumb. Let me know what you think about both halves of my post here! Thanks!

Plato

I don't think Adobe could have done any beter. Their star program is called acrobat. But I didn't like the name syntrillium. Cool edit was ok, but I think Audition is beter.

As for your computer. Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Look first at any recent hardware or software changes, especially right before CEP started crashing. Some virus protection software can interfere, so you may need to turn that off.

But if you really need it fixed fast, I'd back everything up, reformat, reinstall and get on with it. If I have to spend more than a couple hours troubleshooting my machine, this is what I end up doing. But then, I keep careful backups of everything so that I can return my computer quickly to a fresh clean state in just a couple more hours. If I didn't have backups of all my software, I wouldn't do this.

I like the name "Cool Edit Pro". Audition sounds ok. With time I will get used to it.

As for the crashing problem, you didn't mention that you did a scandisk. I know that that is very basic but that is where I usually start. It fixes alot of the problems I encounter.

dave

Thanks...

Reformating might be a little much, as I was never supplied with a system restoration disk. The Scandisk is a good idea, I forgot you could even do that on windows XP cause it doesn't automatically run when I crash my computer (like it does on windows 9x systems). So I'll try that and cross my fingers. I'm still open to suggestions though... Thanks!

Plato

Back