Enlighten Me Please

SirRiff

Greetings,

I have been messing with CEP for a little while now. I have an Alesis SR16 drum maching that I normally just record as a wav for simplicity.

Now I want to record it as a midi track. I have fiddled and have absolutely no idea how to do this. I thought I would plug the midi IN and OUT in the drum machine I/O and stick the serial port into the soundcard. The options in CEP are listed as MIDI in/out from the sound card which is what I have setup.

What else is there to do? Don't I have to speficy a track as a midi track? I'm not sure

SirRiff

Un huh

well that explains alot....I have all the other great multitrack recording programs...but I though CEP would have some super simple way to do it...how depressing.

SirRiff

You have all the other great multi programs?

You went to the store and bought a couple of thousand dollars worth of software with no idea what they do?

hmmmm....

Its nice you took the time to post sarcasm, but not to offer to any insight, ever hear of a demo version buddy?

And additionally, you could find cracks for half the stuff out there if you look enough.

Those who can- do,
And that leaves you.

SirRiff

I think rjt gave you all the insight you need. CEP does not record midi data.

Those who can steal? do?...umm....ok..

you say something bout a demo version and then say pretty much straight out that you do get pirated software....

Which one is it?

BTW: I know whats out there and where it is.. I'm sure more than you..

Are you drugged out?

Funny, you should get Hooked-on-Phonics, because english class didn't seem to work for you.

Notice the word "could" in there?

That was in response to you assuming that I spent thousands of dollars. (An assumption that made you look like an ass actually)

So I felt compelled to point out that one wouldn't need to spend that kind of money to get all the software, instead you could download demos or cracks....

Although most of us know demos most often have limited features or time restraints . . . most of us. And downloading cracks would be so damn unethical.

Anyways, it’s been nice ridiculing you, but I really should go learn about MIDI now. Oh, and congrats on knowing more then me about where cracks are, I hope that takes you far in life.

If any intelligent life other than rjt wishes to respond as to how one goes about jumping into MIDI, it would make it much easier to learn.

Have a nice day.
SirRiff

Riff, this is a low-key, helpful forum with very little attitude on the part of the posters - most people leave that stuff for The Cave. I've read and re-read this thread, and that post by brokenwindow didn't deserve insults and a tirade from you.

Take it easy, let yourself get to know people here, and you'll find this place enjoyable and useful.

Don't think so

Greetings,

dobro,

no attitude intended here, but i will respond just to clear up...
saying my response to a someones comment is a tiride?...
thats just crazy. You can moderate swearing, racism, sexism, hacking, whatever. But responding to a crazy poster is pretty normal. Its not like a thriving thread was ruined for example.

I am socialized enough to get that you have a point,
but its these unsolicited "opinions" that people feel the need to post that always get responses, and then the poster is so shocked that other people disagree...

anyways,
just kill the thread, my original question was way off base

SirRiff

Ok, I know this one in particular is not my bussines, but I had a very similar problem in this BSS, that I just have to say something now...

I don't know what is it all about with this "Senior Memebers" hostility against all people asking spicy questions about demos or cracks or whatever... you know?? I have an income limited to less than $1000 a month, and I have to live with that money you know... also, If I want to learn how to use one of these programs, I have to either download a demo or crack it, and no, make no profit out of music, but I'm not gonna spend about $400 in some software just to have fun with it, and neither to finally realize that the software wasn't what I was expecting, of course I didn't realized before, becouse those damned demos are so limited, you always expect to get a whooole lot more paying... So, if I ever make money out of these programas, I'm gonna pay all that sofware, I mean, I don't know why I'm telling you this, becouse THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM, you're not the owner of that company who makes the software, are you?? and you are not me right?? So, this is the way I decide to do it, and you're nobody to criticize, so brokenwindow, next time you see a post like that, just don't take the time to say lame pointless things, just ignore it, or if you feel like give your best advise!! We're all here to help each other, not to tell others how to live, you get yourself some etics.

Riff, your original question was not off base, and you got an answer to your question - CEP doesn't do MIDI without a sequencer, and like you say, that's depressing. But some of those other progs you've got can handle it, no?

I'm not deleting the thread, because it's a valid thread about Cool Edit. I'm not deleting individual posts in the thread, the reason being I have no objection to them. In other words, in this thread I'm not moderating, and my first response to you earlier in this thread was not as a moderator, it was as someone who's been hanging here for a long time and knows how the place works. I almost never have to moderate here. Which brings me to...

pablo - this thread isn't about software piracy, but since you've raised the question, I'll reiterate: piracy's illegal, and this forum won't be used as a venue for it. Simple. I'm not criticizing your morals, I'm protecting this bbs from anyone who does things that might get it shut down. It's too valuable to too many people, me included.

This place is a lot of fun, too. Join in when you're ready. :)

I'm sorry, I just realized that you have zero tolerance against piracy just after I posted my first message, since Internet is a free speech place, I saw no problem in poping up the question...
The bothering thing is that the first thing you recive here is hostility from theese people, and belive me this bss has been reeeally helpful to me also, but it's a pitty you recive your new members like this... I you just really don't one anyone anyone saying a word about cracking or anything, YOU SHOULD LET IT KNOW BEFORE LETING US POSTING A MESSAGE becouse it's not the usual on internet...
You know a community like this always needs new people to go on, and grow, but you won't get it if it countinues like this.
Becouse afterall, this is a HOME RECORDING BBS, not an ethics bbs... and I the policy is not hacking then you won't have any public post of that kind from me, I have no problem with it, but it's really awful to see the way you tell your new members...
Peace & Love

And I find it a pity when a new member starts complaining about things almost as soon as he/she arrives, I think it's awful. :D

And again, this isn't based on ethics, although you keep coming back to that. It's based on keeping this place squeaky clean legally. And it isn't about free speech, either - using this bbs as a place to trade in illegal software is not about free speech - that's about breaking the law.

And believe it or not, I don't have any hostility toward you at all, and I'm sorry you feel unwelcome here, which is not my intention. My intention is to let people know about this rule. One reason there's no warning about it is that this is a very recent phenomenon - people haven't used this forum for open piracy.

And finally, I appreciate the fact that it's difficult for you to get music recorded without the money to pay for the tools you need to do it. Believe it or not, one reason I can appreciate that is because there is a small load of gear that I would buy tomorrow if I could, but I don't have the money to get it. In other words, welcome to the club.

Once again, join in the fun when you're ready. :)

I shouldn't stick my nose in .....but what the hell............

Having been a "moderator" myself on a totally unrelated site, I can and do agree with Dobro.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to "effectively" list all prohibited topics, attitudes, etc and then expect new-comers to read them before they jump into the forums........it is a fact that PEOPLE RARELY READ the conditions that BBS, chat sites, etc put up. Consequently, when they are "corrected" for some (usually) minor infringement, they scream "UNFAIR, UNFAIR, why weren't we told before".

SirRiff,............ I could have easily interpreted your comments the same way as Brokenwindow. Having been flamed in the past I now choose my words hopefully more carefully, so as not to be misunderstood.

Pablo,...........I too was a newbie here not so long ago but I have never seen a "Senior Member" show hostility unless it was totally warranted and when you consider that a number of the "senior" people here have been in the industry a damn long time I personally think they are within their rights in those circumstances. THEY HAVE ALREADY PAID THEIR DUES!

As far as "cracked" software is concerned, it is a fact of life BUT common sense should tell people that it is wiser not to openly advocate either the possession or use of it in any legitimate forum.

NOTE: The above comments are my personal views and should no way be taken as either (apart from dobro), support for, or a criticism of any one involved in this thread.

Peace..............ChrisO :cool:

One day I saw a mule eating his daily ration of hay. Then he took another bite which contained a small stick. Then I noticed he spit out the stick and kept on eating hay. He was smart enough not to deny himself what he wanted because of one bitter bite.

I saw a man drop a lit cigar butt on the ground. I said, hey stupid, you droped your cigar on the ground. He turned and snarled at me and sqirted some lighter fluid on it and a small flame started. I said, I'll show him, and threw a cup of gasoline on it. Now thats a fire. Then he took the nozzle off the gas pump and pumped five gallons into the now roaring flames. He said, No thats a fire. Meanwhile I was backing the fuel truck over the fire.

After waking up in the burn center, I saw that not only was the service station gone, but so was the whole city block. Then I thought, why didn't I just extinguish the cigar and go feed the mule?

<><
George

Horace,

Yeah, I know, but its sure worth the effort. Especially if I'm going to need that mule to work the garden the next day.

<><
George

Back