Dumb Audition question...

ShaunMadrid

I'm pretty new to home-recording...I've been recording with Adobe Audition 1.5 for a short while now. I'm recording over several tracks. Each time I want to record a new track, I set the track to record and I select the input channel to Left. I pan all the other tracks far-right. Then I record. I assume this is what you have to do in order to record something without picking up signals from other tracks...

Now in order to hear all the tracks in the correct panned positions (bass centre, guitar left, whatever...) I have to manually pan everything back to where it was before I recorded the last track. This is painful. I may be as thick as a whale omelette, but something tells me this isn't the correct way to achieve this!!!

Hope this makes sense.
Anyone?

ShaunMadrid :)

Since you didn't gave more info I can only give a general outline. So I'll asume you use the windows mixer to set your levels and source. Now, open the mixer and in the record section, mute all the sources you won't use. Very likely you are recording them right now. So only make the input you use active. The idea is the same with soundcards that provide their own mixer, but still check if the windows mixer isn't somewhere in the path.

Thanks for the quick reply Havoc!! Cool...unfortunately I haven't got my PC here now...so what you're saying is that within the mixer Section (I use a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS card, so usually I use the Creative Mixer) there should be a section in there where I can choose only the "line-in" on the soundcard as a recording source and somehow mute the recording of the current output of the card?

Sorry, for not being too clear on this, I don't have my own computer here right now, so I'll be trying it out tonight!!

Many thanks,

Ok. Then as previously stated, you should mute all other lines in the soundcard other than the recording device. That should solve the problem.

Took a look at the Creative SoundBlaster mixer settings last night. In the recording section you could set the levels for all the inputs, including a setting called "All u can hear" which wasn´t muted. Didn't get a chance to test it out, but I suspect you guys are dead right!

I'll post a confirmation when I get a chance to test this, but many thanks in advance!

Back