demo cool edit pro 2.1

hollowbodyhound

Does anyone know where I can get a Demo of CEP 2.1? I have Cubasis now and it blows! Any thoughts on comparisons of these two products?

Thanks

hhh

Does anyone know where I can get a Demo of CEP 2.1?

The company that makes Cool Edit Pro, Syntrillium has been taken over by Adobe. So it's now called Adobe Audition. The program is exactly the same just with the Adobe name and logo on it.

I can't seem to find the demo on the Adobe site so here is a link for demo of Cool Edit Pro not Audition but they are the same.

http://www.stgd.ch/Zip/cepsetup.exe

I have Cubasis now and it blows! Any thoughts on comparisons of these two products?

If you want midi look elsewhere as CEP doesn't do midi. It does read midi files but you can't record/prgram midi.

If you just want audio though CEP is in my opinion the easiest program to use and still powerful. I've used Cubase before and it gets very confusing setting up with all the various menus. CEP is straightfoward simple but still powerful.

Have fun
Tukkis:D

Cubasis sucks

I guess I shouldn't say cubase or cubasis sucks but Man! what a learning curve. I also have trouble with the Transport bar Recording on a reliable basis. I am not using Midi currently so I think there may be an easier app to learn. How is Pro tools? I d/l'ed CEP last night and it is definately easy but I wonder if the power I may want in the future is there. Any thoughts ?

Thanks to Tukkis for the Link!!!

hbh

How is Pro tools?

It's got midi so it's better in that regard but CEP is far more user friendly and simple to use.
The only reason I would personally use Pro Tools is if I recorded at home and wanted to take it to a pro studio to mix. Or vice versa. Other than that Pro Tools is nothing special.

I d/l'ed CEP last night and it is definately easy but I wonder if the power I may want in the future is there.

It's certainly powerful. When I first started using it I was really impressed by the ease of use. I thought cause it's easy to use it must not have many features. But I was wrong. It has more than you could imagine. Plus it's a multitrack recorder and editor in one. The editor is the best one I've used. Pro Tools doesn't have an editor.

What are you recording? home recordings, bands, solo?

Tukkis

I am recording myself solo for now, hoping to add in drum loops etc. I do plan to do some live recording eventually possibly produce a CD of local talent. Basically chew up lots of money and time tinkering. Any thoughts on recording live shows.

hbh

do plan to do some live recording eventually possibly produce a CD of local talent. Basically chew up lots of money and time tinkering. Any thoughts on recording live shows.

What equipment do you have now?

For live you'll need something portable to record onto. It depends on your budget and how many shows you are going to record. Also how many tracks you need.

You could get an ADAT which is 8 tracks. Then you could take that home and transfer it to computer onto 8 seperate tracks into CEP. Then edit it and clean it up. Then burn to CD.

You could also go the laptop route and get a firewire soundcard like one of the MOTU range. This would alow you to record yourself at home or wherever really and also live shows.

You could even get a Mini Disc recorder and record the live show onto that and then transfer it to CEP.

Tukkis :)

I was thinking of starting with a mini-disc. I haven't researched them much. Do you know the record sample rate and such? I assume you could only do one track, well I guess stereo. I am not currently set up for live recording. Do you have any mic suggestions and mic configurations that work well live. I assume the more tracks you can leave the show with the more you have to work with later. My current studio consists of:

- Mackie 1202 vlz 12-track mixer/pre
- 2 -shure sm's 1-57 and 1-58
- 1- rode nt-1
- a dual pIII 733 workstation 512MB RAM
- Creative Labs Audigy Platinum Sound Card (HAHA)
- assorted cheap condenser mics
- Digitech GNX-1 guitar effects processor
- Vintage amps too many to mention

Thats it. As you can see its bare bones and I could of used this forum a year ago when I started purchasing stuff, but live and learn.

Do you know the record sample rate and such?

Usually 44.1 or 48KHZ which is plenty for what you want it for.

Do you have any mic suggestions and mic configurations that work well live.

What type of music are yoou recording live?

assume the more tracks you can leave the show with the more you have to work with later.

Yep so if you recorded with a mini disc you would only have a stereo file to edit later so you'd want to get it sounding right at the recording stage.

Tukkis

The type of music I'll be recording, maybe the list I won't be recording will be shorter. I won,t be recording full Orchestras, or Heavy metal. Pretty much everything else is fair game. Right now I'm going to alot of Bluegrass/Newgrass shows Sam Bush, Allison Crouse, etc. The Indy Rock scene I've done for years also. Widespread Panic, Phish etc.

More Tracks. Sounds like ADAT or the Laptop is the way to go to obtain track selections. What do you use?

hbh

More Tracks. Sounds like ADAT or the Laptop is the way to go to obtain track selections. What do you use?
I don't record live. You could get a laptop with a firewire soundcard like a MOTU or Digi 002rack. You could use this for recording at home and recording live gigs.

Tukkis:)

Could you guys tell me more about MOTU? I record on a Laptop and want to keep it that way. I went to there site and if you can give me some tips on what to look for that would help.

thanks

Could you guys tell me more about MOTU? I record on a Laptop and want to keep it that way. I went to there site and if you can give me some tips on what to look for that would help.
There are lots of different MOTU products. How many tracks do you need simultanously? mic preamps?

Tukkis

I would like around 8 tracks simultaneously. About pre-amps, I thought each channel would have its own pre.

dave

Back