Delay/Latency/Buffering problem?

aquarius11

Got a problem I can't seem to fix. I notice that when recording into Cool Edit Pro, that the visual graphics of the sound being recorded seem to start running behind the main line on the screen moving left to right. Or else that line starts running ahead of the graphics of the sound. Its like its buffering or latency. It'll catch up occasionally, but mostly the recording line starts moving ahead faster than the visual of what's being recorded.

Then on playback I'll notice that a second or two might be skipped (like it was edited) here and there...no pattern to it. It'll go 2 minutes fine, then suddenly a quick jump ahead...then another 20 seconds, pop, another edit ahead. Then fine for 5 minutes, etc...no pattern.

Where should I start in looking for a solution? The computer is not the newest or fastest ( 2.6ghz, 1GB ram-the max for this particular computer...but really stripped down program/software-wise to help). I really can't use another computer, so it'll have to work on this one currently.

Let me also add that I'm using a Delta 44 interface. Went into the settings and noticed the sample rates were different between CEP and Delta 44, so I set those to match...what else should I look at, as the problem still exists, though not quite as bad now.

Back