Crackle!

pod4477

Ok so i recorded some bass and i go to loop it and all of a sudden i get soem crackle from just moving the waveform around. Then it starts happening when i raise the volume of the track. It will start up at different parts of the track too. Its an annoying crackle and is being picked up by the volume meter too. WIerd! I saved my sessiona dn opened it and its still there! So its not just a glitch that is there till i exit out. Please help guys. Its also coming through when i mixdown the session too! Thanks

and is it worth recording at 32 with an audigy 4 because some dude told me it only will be reall yin 16 bit?

adjusting my playback buffers in the settings menu of cool edit to 2, reduces crackle but not completly

I don't know what kind of converters are on the Audigy, but I'm willing to bet they're not 32-bit!

Don't waste your time recording in 32-bit. Record in 16. Audition will do the math in 32 float (unless you changed it in your settings).

If you want to record in 24 bit, use another program like Reaper.

What are the specs on your computer? How many tracks do you have going?

I'm willing to bet the 'crackling' sound you're hearing is from working your computer too hard with 32-bit.

Grilled_Cheese said:
I don't know what kind of converters are on the Audigy, but I'm willing to bet they're not 32-bit!

Don't waste your time recording in 32-bit. Record in 16. Audition will do the math in 32 float (unless you changed it in your settings).

If you want to record in 24 bit, use another program like Reaper.

What are the specs on your computer? How many tracks do you have going?

I'm willing to bet the 'crackling' sound you're hearing is from working your computer too hard with 32-bit.

Hi GC, they're not 32 bit, as you say, they're capable of 24 bit.

Hi Pod....although I don't completely agree with GrilledCheese's use of 16bit for recording, in your particular case, he may be spot on the money. Can u give us your specs on your computer again mate. Maybe we are working your computer a little too hard with 32 bit activated. (as GC suggested).
Also, if you can carefully read GrilledCheese's question on 'tracks' and answer those for us mate?
I have never had problems using CoolEdit in 32 bit @ 48 or 44.1 khz, but our machines maybe very different?

As a test......go to 16 bit @ 44.1khz and tell us if the crackling dissapears.
If 16 bit works ok, you may want to stick with that for now.(?).

Also tell us your currrent setting in the Options>settings>system/data/multitrack tabs.

Can you do a screen print of these to post up? (might be easier than typing in all those bloody numbers?)

Get back to us buddy!
Regards,
Superspit.

haha well i have like 120+ tracks going on and running on a sony viao 2.2ghz 512mb computer. so when you say change it to 16 bit do you mean change it to 16 bit in the settings menu or change the track to 16 bit using convert sample type menu?

ill get that screen print later on. Your right maybe i am working it too hard. Im gona upgrade to a firewire mbox or soemthing at christmas. What do you recomend for firewire stuff?

pod4477 said:
haha well i have like 120+ tracks going on and running on a sony viao 2.2ghz 512mb computer. so when you say change it to 16 bit do you mean change it to 16 bit in the settings menu or change the track to 16 bit using convert sample type menu?

ill get that screen print later on. Your right maybe i am working it too hard. Im gona upgrade to a firewire mbox or soemthing at christmas. What do you recomend for firewire stuff?

woah Pod......yes and yes, in reference to 16 bit mode!!
Also, turn off 'convert all files to 32 bit upon opening'.
Man....no wonder your running slow and noisy!!
Try that.
Regards,
Superspit.

ya i never checked the convert all files to 32 bit box anyway. so ya im gonca convert my already 32 bit tracks to 16 bit and also record nwo in 16 bit for now on. So in the final mixdown will it sound better or the same as 16 bit if i record in 32 bit with my soundcard?

pod4477 said:
ya i never checked the convert all files to 32 bit box anyway. so ya im gonca convert my already 32 bit tracks to 16 bit and also record nwo in 16 bit for now on. So in the final mixdown will it sound better or the same as 16 bit if i record in 32 bit with my soundcard?

that's a reasonable question Pod.
In a PRACTICAL sense, now knowing your system and the amount of tracks you use in a session, you'll find that working in 16bit will actually serve you better.
If you decide to use less tracks, a 'studio-grade' sound card, more RAM, an extra hard drive,..for example, you'll find the 32 bit function in CEP to be fantastic.
Without the above specs/parts, you may actually feel like you're going backwards using 32bit for tracking.
You'll be fine Pod, go with the 16bit for now!!

120+ tracks!!!????? That's where the clicking is coming from. YOu have overloaded the system. Time to start making stems and disabling unused tracks.

Stems are sub-mixes. What you would do is, for example, mix all the backing vocals and bounce them down to a stereo mix that you import back in to the project. Now you can disable all the individual backing vocal tracks. You will want to keep them just in case you need to change the mix of them in the future.

Now, you can do that with the drums, guitars, and anything else that takes up a lot of tracks.

Farview said:
Stems are sub-mixes. What you would do is, for example, mix all the backing vocals and bounce them down to a stereo mix that you import back in to the project. Now you can disable all the individual backing vocal tracks. You will want to keep them just in case you need to change the mix of them in the future.

Now, you can do that with the drums, guitars, and anything else that takes up a lot of tracks.

Pod.......Making Stems is similar to bouncing down tracks (just in case you weren't familiar with that particular term?)......I'd agree with Farview's advice on this.

i fixed my crackle i converted a 32 bit track that was doing it from 32 to 16 bit but what fixd it was i deleted the loops of it. ALl the tracks were overloading it lik you guys said. I should have mentioned there were alot fo loops int he mix sry guys! Now i still have a problem. Im trying to loop a bass part so i can have it for the whole verse. It has 54 beats and 8 measures. I want the bass part to repeat again right after the 8 measures.

Why do you skip over 24 bit? 32 bit is useless half the time and 16 bit sucks.

The answer to your question is play the bass part for the entire time you need it. If that isn't possible, loop the bass part and bounce it down to one file instead of a bunch of looped ones.

Back