crackle

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
ok i had to reformat my computer and of course reinstall cool edit pro 2 well that worked out just fine and dandy till i did some recording with it. now i had never had any problems with cool before it always worked out great for me but now when i record a track it hums and crackles really bad its not in the recordings just when i am laying something down i have a nice laptop with enough RAM and i have a nice soundcard its a indigo echo i/o recording card so i am baffled on what it could be is there some kind of speed settings or anything i can play with like maybe a buffer on this stuff? thanks guys

The default buffers should work with any standard soundcard - changing the buffers is just minor tweaking usually, and with computers as fast as they are these days, it usually isn't much of an issue.

Hums and crackles doesn't sound like a bad Cool install, it sounds like a problem with your electrics - a bad connector or a ground loop or something. Unplug everything one at a time and plug it in again and test it as you go. The fact that it happens only when you're tracking suggests it's a mic connection or a line in thing. Check that first.

its still not fixed

well i checked around with the electrics but nothing helped there so i played with sound cards i used the one that came with the computer and it recorded clean with no problems the indigo was making racket :rolleyes: so i reinstalled the driver for it still bad i think i have pinned it out down to my sound card at this point so i try another program and track with it no buzz at all :eek: Audacity works fine without a hitch...... what to say? any way i am going to track in Audacity i guess and then mix them in cool

That's doable. I track with Cool 1.2 and mix in Cool 2.1.

Some day, I will have an application that will do it all: track, mix, master, and shrink wrap the CDs...

I had this same problem with my Cakewalk products. I got steered to the driver settings. I switched to the MME drivers and all was dandy.

Hey, Junkie - if nothing else works for you, try recording in 16bit and tell us if that works. If it does, then I know what the problem is.

"If it does, then I know what the problem is."

(dobro guesses): The problem is his system's crummy? lol

dobro said:
"If it does, then I know what the problem is."

(dobro guesses): The problem is his system's crummy? lol
no, lol...I ran into this problem when I reinstalled after putting a new soundcard in a box. Everything I recorded sounded like dogs&%# until I toggled a certain setting, but I don't want to tell him which one unless it records fine in 16bit...Otherwise, the results could be disastrous for generations to come, lol.

i tried it with 16 bit and its still giving me the buzz crack problem so what do i do? i am looking at getting another computer this spring though so i will maybe be going to another software at least a break out box till then this is what i have. :( what do i do Jaimee's dad?

Back