Cool Edit problem - please help!

advokut

I have been trying to record some live scratching over a beat plus other samples (which are arranged on channels 1 & 2) and the problem is that all the other channels bleed through into channel 3! Can anyone help me? I think it must be somewhere within the set up menu as i re-installed the whole problem and its still doing it! Cheers

Windows Mixer, or soundcard's software mixer..

This is from the troubleshooting section of CEP's help files...

Q: Why does track 1 get recorded on track 2 when I try to listen and record at the same time in Cool Edit Pro?

A: This can happen when your sound card is set up to record everything that it is playing back, along with new audio. Cool Edit Pro does not choose the device to record from for you. You must do change this setting in Windows. To change your hardware configuration so this will not happen anymore, do the following:

In any version of Windows :

Double-click on the speaker icon located on the lower right hand corner of your screen (near the clock).

Select Options, Properties.

In the Adjust Volume for area, select Recording.

All of the devices you can record from will be displayed in the Show the following volume controls:

Make sure all the devices have a check mark in them.

Click on OK.

At the bottom of each recording device, there is a check box with Select to the right of it. Use this to select the recording device that you want.

Make sure the recording Volume is at least half way up.

Close the Recording Control window.

You are ready to record.

Most sound cards have a device labeled Stereo Mix or something similar. When that device is selected, the sound card will record everything that is being played back, which will cause tracks that are playing back to be recorded on new tracks. Make sure that only the device you want to record from (such as line in or microphone) is the only device selected, and that the Stereo Mix option is not selected.

If this does not solve your problem, check the documentation from your sound card manufacturer

advokut said:
I have been trying to record some live scratching over a beat plus other samples (which are arranged on channels 1 & 2) and the problem is that all the other channels bleed through into channel 3! Can anyone help me? I think it must be somewhere within the set up menu as i re-installed the whole problem and its still doing it! Cheers

Here's a good one: Make sure you're not recording your monitor playback through a live mic you're trying to record a track with! Doesn't sound like you're probably doing that, though... good on you!

Back