cool edit pro reverb

jINXBEATZ

can anyone tell me when recording vocals what effects should i use to bring out the vocals. like reverb. and anyone has a % amount to use of reverb that sounds good. i use the preset ones and is a bit much. which effect should i use and how much reverb to use? :(

When you're recording vocals, don't use any reverb.

When you're mixing vocals, use less reverb than you think sounds good at first. Turn it down by half. You'll be closer to where you want to be in the end.

dobro said:
When you're mixing vocals, use less reverb than you think sounds good at first. Turn it down by half. You'll be closer to where you want to be in the end.

Words to live by.. Wish I would have played by these rules on some of my older songs..

Oh, and Cool Edits reverbs are poopy.

i been using edit wrong this whole time then. what i was doing was each individial vocal track i would switch views and take out hiss and add reverb for each individual vocal track. then mix everything down with instrumentals at once instead of mixing all vocals first take out hiss and add a lil reverb to the mix of all vocals first,then mix vocals with instrumentals!! what an idiot. am i correct? my mic is just plugged str8 to pc soundcard & thats a pc mic also so u can imagine the sound . im getting the m-audio usb audio interface next week, and a good condenser mic. is this ideal to use with edit verses a mbox with pro tools. i make beats on fl studio an mostly record vocals. heres a song with the old way i was doing it. http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=506971&t=8738
any suggestions???

For vocals I usually always record them dry with all the eq's set to 0. Then before mixing add quickverb - warm room. then set it so you can barely tell reverb is there just so there's a bit of definition to them. Then maybe add a bit of low or mid to it if needed. But that's just me. Not a big fan of reverb in vocals

"Oh, and Cool Edits reverbs are poopy."

I know what you're saying, but Cool's reverb has its uses. At first, the only verb I used was Cool's Full Verb. Then I got a Lexicon unit and (surprise, surprise) it sounded about three times better. Maybe four times.

But the other day, I wanted something dripping in cheap reverb for an effect, so I whacked a bunch of Quickverb onto the tracks in question, and it was exactly right. Not smooth at all, nor particularly clear. But exactly right for the song.

you gotta look around for all the types of reverbs there are and later on you'll just use one. looks for some plugins and a variety of other reverbs. I personally settle with a nice 'tight and close' or 'vocal presence' modified preset. but there's many others to try, such as the studio reverb.

adobe audition 1.5

ace516 said:
you gotta look around for all the types of reverbs there are and later on you'll just use one. looks for some plugins and a variety of other reverbs. I personally settle with a nice 'tight and close' or 'vocal presence' modified preset. but there's many others to try, such as the studio reverb.
okay look i just opened cool edit and had a vocal track in single view and i tried a fx cakewalk plug in and its an error..i opened sony plugin an worked but not cakewalk or cfx the error says unable to initialize the requested directx plugin.what causes that? and one more question i asked but wasnt clear. okay in multi track i insert on of my instrumentals. next track or next 10+ i record vocals. now the mixdown questions. is it best to mixdown just the vocals then once mixed do a hiss removal and possible reverb? then mixdown all tracks? :confused: i used to do 1 vocal track at a time. what is best?hey i just got the new version i was using cool edit pro 2.0 now the new adobe has all my plugins working and that studio reverb someone was saying use...COOL. anyway disregard the plugin question of this thread....but what bout mixdow any suggestions???

Last edited:
reverb

dobro said:
When you're recording vocals, don't use any reverb.

when mixing vocals...do you add reverb to original vocal or the adlib vocal...or both

yeah, I am still trying to get the vocal effects down in cooledit. I liked the karlette option in cubase. which there was something like that in cooledit. anyone know any good plugins for this.

FatesWebb

jINXBEATZ said:
when mixing vocals...do you add reverb to original vocal or the adlib vocal...or both

Whatever it needs. But usually to both. On one occasion though, I had a backing of twelve voices on a chorus (sounded like a male choir), and I didn't use any verb on that at all - the tiny differences in timing and intonation with that many voices just made the sound very full, and it didn't need reverb.

Back