Control Surfaces

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Has anyone used control surfaces with CEP/Audition?

I really know nothing about them, so any information would be helpful!

Not sure if control surfaces use midi, but I've used midi triggers---set up my synth so certain keys toggle record/stop, ff, rew, play, etc.. handy feature sometimes.

I've just started using a Tascam US428 to replace a fried Red Rover. I just destroyed my computer (toasted MB, both hard drives, etc) and got everything replaced and up & running again (this has been a bad week for the recording biz around here). I love the transport controls but I haven't formed an opinion about the sound. The faders and pan controls are an improvement over the Red Rover, too, which was pretty minimal. BTW, although I was using Adobe Audition, which is the equivalent of CEP 2.1, after the crash I had only my 2.0 CD-ROM from Syntrillium so it all works without being the latest revision. I am waiting on a new DSL adapter so I can once again download Adobe Audition, but the 428 is working very well. At this point there MAY be a conflict with my Terratec sound card (I can play back through the card but can only record through the 428's USB) but I tend to believe that may be damage from the recent holocaust (catastrophically failed power supply, looks like: big black burn marks on the drives, fused traces on the MB etc) since I could not get my digital mixer to synch up to the soundcard (sc set as master, mixer as slave) except intermittently. It works fine with the card slaved to the mixer....Thank you for asking, yes, I had 20-some G of music backed up to an external drive, or my body'd be in the river by now....

lpdeluxe - damn, how'd all that happen? When a power supply dies, electricity *stops* flowing usually. How'd a duff power supply manage to fry the works?

"And would you like fries with that?"

"No thanks."

Dobro, I wish I knew! It makes me a little paranoid (actually, a LOT paranoid) thinking that a lightning bolt is lurking in that AC cord. However, the owner of the computer shop turned out to be a digital recordist, and he gave me a price break and fast service to get my new computer (in a 4-year-old case) going.

But that was several hundred dollars ago. I have concluded that my sound card is indeed toast, since the word clock has become intermittent (I had it set as master, and slaved everything else to it via ADAT). But a new one is on its way, and I managed to download Adobe Audition and life is good once again.

Meanwhile, getting back to the subject at hand, a friend who is running CEP 2.0 found an EZBus for a low price. He emailed me last night to tell me it works fine with CEP...once he got some tech advice from Event on how to activate it in Cool Edit Pro. The US428 I have is a lot less sophisticated, being without phantom power and all the I/O options on the EZBus...but then, I'm using it only as a control surface. Audio still goes I/O on an ADAT sound card.

For what it's worth, my new Terratec EWS88D came yesterday and it installed with no problems...now I can record & playback through the ADAT lightpipe and use the US428 strictly to control transport/fader/pan functions. As an aside, I had some visitors last night (before I got the new soundcard in) and played back some music through the RCA out jacks on the US428. Whew. Glad I don't have to listen to THAT any more!

Back