Compression presets...

SOUND DIAGNOSIS

I have CEP 1.0. Is it my imagination or are the preset compression curves totally whacked out? They seem like they were programmed by a 4 year old. Thanks ---ROB :D

nah, you're right SD........ CEP's compression presets are totally whacked......... especially the "vocal" presets.... that vocal limiter is atrocious......

but to be fair, there's one thing I've never liked presets on, and that's compression..... out of all the effects, it seems compression is one of the most dependent on the input source.... I mean, in CEP's reverb and everything, there's no threshold where the reverb kicks in..... so compression I have no presets for... I just constantly adjust it... but I use the BlueLine anyways..... :)

nah, you're right SD........ CEP's compression presets are totally whacked

VotaIdiota, thanks for that confirmation. Although I am fairly new to this technology, I ain't a total fuck-up and needed a sensible answer and you were the one............and I DO thank you very much for your time.

P.S. Does your name mean "idiotic voter"??? :D

Compressor pre-sets should be banned outright....... period.

You can't preset compressors since the settings depend COMPLETELY on the incoming signal...........

Last edited:
Blue Bear Sound said:

You can't preset compressions since the settings depend COMPLETELY on the incoming signal...........

Well, in my semi-novice case, I had thisa' here tune, "Hero" by none other than En-ree-kay Inglesias that I have redone, which was all mixed down, trimmed, tarred, and feathered.........but the DYNAMICS were a little too dramatic for airplay. I briefly tried the first preset and almost fainted. Tried the others. Yup. Been there, done that. Gotta do it yourself is what I thought. So I just did the ole' gen-teel 45 degree angle compression method and I very subtly reduced the high amplitudes and just as subtly raised the lower amplitudes and the result was perfect. And yes BB, what goes in had better fuckin' be on the mark if you want to compress a final mix, otherwise you are shoveling shit against the tide. Thanks for the repsonse, o-blue-one. -----ROB :)

Blue Bear Sound said:

You can't preset compressions since the settings depend COMPLETELY on the incoming signal...........

this is exactly what I was getting at BB...... there is no reason for compression to have presets..... hell, I don't even make my OWN compression presets, as I would just be constantly modifying them anyways.....

oh, and SD, you're welcome. :)

and yes, I do believe it means "Idiotic Voter", although it might mean "Vote Idiot", depending on how the Portugese phrase their descriptions and subjects.....

it's actually just kind of an obscure Radiohead reference that I've had for years, and kind of became my nickname.... I'm just so used to it now.

hey Blue....wadda ya doing over here in CoolEdit....(this is the cooledit forum, isn't it??:confused: )?

tooo coool...... and almost kinda spooky....like big brutha is still here! (dang...the ole PC of yours might just come in handy...eh?....ya say you're out of formatted tapes....)

Blue Bear Sound said:

You can't preset compressors since the settings depend COMPLETELY on the incoming signal...........

So whats with the Super Nice mode on the RNC? OT sorry ;)

Peace,
Dennis

Well I'm a total newb here ...

but I find presets to be a handy thing and I wish CEP had more usable comp / reverb presets for vocals ...

simply becouse I record my vocals pretty much according to the same procedure .. and find all this tweaking way to complicated and agravating ...

but I guess you guys will convince me in no time when I post my stuff :)

when the time comes

so I better hold on to the dry recordings :)

Back