compression

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
just out of curiousity, why would you use a prog that doesn't process in real time? it must be a pain in the ass waiting for CEP to process the files. With another prog you could use some directx (I know CEP does directx, but again you have to wait) email me, I may be able to help you out.

ametth

Could anyone here explain to me how to program CEP compression???

I think most of the new ones have real time processing.
I think that CEP was designed for people with really slow computers that couldn't handle lots of drain on the processor.
I have a fast one so I am looking at other options.

"CEP provides realtime preview in many of its DSP functions." True. But not Reverb or Full Reverb in my experience. Any others? How about Dynamics Processing (compression)?

CEP gives you a real time preview of its compression but you only hear the track that you are going to compress. Once you decide on the compression settings, it alters the waveform. You can undo it... but if you decide a few days later that you overcompressed... too bad.
Most decent multitrackers use DirectX plug ins that behave more like actual outboard FX in a real studio... You listen to the whole mix while you tweak your settings. Later in the mix you can re-tweak your settings without hassel...
I never even figured out how to use DirectX plug ins with CEP but it supposedly supports them...

with CEP you can use DX effects, but not real time. IT has to alter the wave form just like the native effects in CEP.

ametth

So if you're going to use CEP, the way to go is this: once you've recorded a take, copy it to a CDRW, and that's your original, like a photographer's negative.

Then start to mix, saving anything you like, but you've always got the original to go back to if you want.

As for being able to hear the compression only on the track you're compressing, yeah, you have to apply the compression to the track, and then listen to it in the multitrack view. It takes a bit more time, right.

I agree, when I'm using CEP/AA, I copy the all the waves to new tracks and mute the original. So if I would like to start over there wouldn't be a prob.

Doing this you can also compare the original recording to the edited...

I think most of the new ones have real time processing.
I think that CEP was designed for people with really slow computers that couldn't handle lots of drain on the processor.
I have a fast one so I am looking at other options.

I think road speed limit signs were designed for people with slow cars.....:D

CEP's compression system is really an incredible piece of software in itself.
The only reason I can currently think of, that made you say the things that you did, would have to be via lack of experience with compression, on your behalf.
You would have to pay some serious $$$$$$ to get the same results with quality hardware.....
Anyways....I'm no help, coz I just can't be faaaarked.:eek::confused:

you have to insert them as (FX) in the multitrack to use them in real time. I do it all the time...:rolleyes:
I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that this was no option on 01-12-2000. CEP/AA underwent a lot of development since then. ;)

Can you even buy CEP anymore? I doubt it is actually for sale anywhere. Yet newbies keep coming in here saying they just got it.

Can you even buy CEP anymore? I doubt it is actually for sale anywhere. Yet newbies keep coming in here saying they just got it.
Why not? A used one is much cheaper than the current AA, and CEP 2.1 is still quite usuable today.
And of course, you can download a shareware of CE2K somewhere, which actually is somewhat usable, even unregistered. Older versions don't even have a time limit. The only limit was, that you can not use all effects in one session (the downloadable plugins insert random tones, though). The competitors usually have rather crippled demos compared to this, which makes Cool Edit a good software for beginners to try things, imho.

weird thread....

I almost never use effects in edit view. I also feel no need to back up original files except in the course of general computer file backup. I don't get it? Except that we're talking ancient history here.

Rusty K

Back