Clicking sound in recording

swordfish

On a couple of recent acoustic guitar recordings I got a clicking sound at three or four points during the song.I don't think it was too loud as the point where it happens does not show up in the waves as having more volume than the rest of the recording. I'm sure the sound was not external--that is, I didn't make it. It seems to be the software. Any ideas as to what it is?

I doubt that it is from CEP. It more likely that some time during the recording the system had to reallocate memory and that caused the pop. It is probably just form the computer working hard. Also, certain sound cards are notorious for doing that. As far as the click/pop eliminator, that is more for transfering records (33 1/3) and such into the digital medium.

MIKE

My understanding is you're right - it's got nothing to do with sounds you make, and everything to do with what I call system sounds (not just the software, and maybe not anything to do with the software, but maybe I'm wrong). My guess is that this happens a lot, and that's why CEP has the 'click/pop eliminator' in its bag of effects.

Have you tried this aspect of noise reduction, and how well does it work?

Hey Mike, that's interesting about some cards being clickier than others. I've got a Wave/824. Which ones have you heard about being clicky/poppy?

Also, if what you say about the click/pop eliminator is the case, then does that mean there's nothing you can do about clicks and pops on a recorded track?

Well, I would avoid Creative Labs cards like the plague. According to Syntrillium, they are by far the worst cards for CEP. I have also heard that a few other cards are bad, but I am not really sure which ones. Some of the ones with the Ensoniq chip on them I believe.

As far as the Click/pop filter, I guess it would work on recorded tracks... I think I have never tried it for that.

MIKE

I have a Direct/Pro 24/96. I haven't heard about them causing clicks. I did try the click pop eliminator. It reduced the problem but didn't eliminate it. I am increasing the computer's (PII 233) memory from 64 to 128 mb and hope that will help. I'm not sure but I suspect the problem occured at the point in the recording where CEP scrolls to the end of a page and starts a new page.

Tony

Back