Channels

PapillonIrl

This is very probably the dumbest question in history but.......

One of the little buttons beside each track in the multitrack view of CEPro gives you three options, it allows you to choose whether the corresponding track is left channel, right channel or stereo.

Two questions.

1: I assume that if I choose left channel or right channel the track will be a mono track. What is the difference between left and right then ? If you record a track on the left or right channel it seems to me to be balanced between the two speakers. Why not just have one option saying 'mono' ?

2: If I take a aux 'tape out' connection from my mixer into my soundcard(1/8th" jack), and my mixer has panning on some of the channels...does the track I'm recording in CEPro have to be defined as a stereo track as above for the panning to be realised in the recording ?

Thanks for trawling through that (messy) question, if you can help I'd appreciate it.

pAp.

That left and right channel thing is one of the stupidest things in recordings. Channels are grouped in pairs. Channels 1 and 2 are grouped together: channel one is called left, channel two is called right. So, if you just want to record one mono track, choose either left or right, but not both. It won't go to the left side of the stereo field, it'll be dead center, and mono. If you want one stereo track, choose the stereo option, and both channels with be employed.

Don't ask me about mixers, I don't use 'em for tracking. :) But I'd guess the answer to your second question is yes, although I've never tried it. But why pan when you're tracking? Why not do it in the mix? Are you stereo miking yourself?

Thanks for the thoughts...

I want to use my mixer both for stereo miking ( our keyboard player has access to a grand piano ) and to separate the cymbals and toms a bit in the stereo field, as I have only one 1/8" input in my (crappy) sound card. My DAW is my only means of recording.

Now that I think of it...do I need two inputs into my soundcard to record with panning ?

Surely not ?

Thanks fo the reply anyway.

pAp.

I don't use a mixer, but I have two ways to do it but the first will give you complete flexiblity in mixing within CEP.
1. With your two channels coming into your 1/8" soundcard input from your mixer, assign the left channel to track one and the right channel to track two( using the button left of the red record button which is left of each track window)Don't forget to enable recording on each track.
After recording, the playback of both tracks will be mono until you use the pan envelopes in each track window or the pan window to the far left of the track - it has blue letters with the default being "P+0"
2.A second way to do it - You could save a track and just pick the stereo option for track 1 and forget about track 2.

But the first way, you can edit each track(channel) indivdually for effects with less confusion.
Bubba

Back