Changing the Wave form into WMA and or/ burn to CD???

WERNER 1

Hey guys,

I've finally got my "studio" set up and was running through some basic vocal track test. My signal chain is this: Mic, pre, Delta 1010, CEP 2.0.

I'm just starting out so I'm really in the dark here....:o

I was able to record the vocal test track, then I got lost in the effects section for about an hour or so :). Once I was done playing around there I wanted to put that track on a CD so I could check it out in my car, and on my home stereo system, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to the CD burner??? I was able to save it as a wave file, but was unable to change it to a WMA.

This was my first "fire up" with all of this gear, and to be honest I haven't looked into the help section of CEP yet........I kept thinking - I can figure this out...how hard can it be?? :eek:

Any info would be great!!

Thanks,
Rick

You shouldn't be converting to wma at all for burning. You should be burning at 16 bit 44100 khz wav.

What are you using to burn CD's?

I've got EZ CD creator (Basic)

I've also got NERO that came with my new HP burner?? (Is that what you meant?)

16 bit?? I think mine was set at 32?? If I reset it to 16 bit/44100 khz. and then save the file, will it burn onto a CD.........You can smack me any time for being so stupid! :o

Rick

Go to the option "convert sample type" (somewhere in the edit menu) and set that to convert to 16bit 44.1kHz with dither at tpd and 1bit depth. Save the resulting wave file (as a copy, so you don't overwrite your original). Then open the burning app and create a new audio cd. Drag the 16/44.1 file(s) to the burning app and burn the disc in DAO mode.

Now, the details of how you do this may vary a little bit whatever version of CEP and/or nero you use, but the essence is the same.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl tonight.

I was able to burn the wave file to a CD, but it will only play on my PC :(

Man I've got a long way to go!!!! wheww............sigh.

OK, stupid question time (or more stupider any way! )

Isn't my 1010 audio card 24/96 ?? Can someone explain what exactly this means in regards to recording.....I guess I'm wondering why you would record in 24/96 (I don't know if this is correct..:o ), and then burn down in ? 16/44?? Or am I not getting something here (Which I'm sure is the case...)

Thanks!

Rick

The 24/96 of your card is the maximum it can handle. Now it is up to you what you use to record your work. But the CD medium itself is limited (by the red book standard) to 16/44.1. You cannot put anything else on a CD and call it a CD (stupid phrase, but you'll get the idea).

Now, to record at higher bitdepths like 24bit gives some advantages. You need to record at a level that is as high as possible without clipping. If you have a signal that has some very high peaks, the large part of the recording will be at a low level. But the lower the level, the higher the distortion, because you run out of bits. So if you record at 16bit, you end up by using of only 10-12bits effectively. Now if you would have recorded at 24bit, then with the same headroom you would end up with 18-20bit effectively.

Recording at higher samplerates is more questionable. If you would go to DVD, then it makes sense to use 96kHz as this is supported on that medium. So people say they can hear the difference even when converted to 44.1 afterward, I doubt this. So put this down to personal preference.

CEP/AA can use 32bit floating point as internal format. This means that whatever your soundcard captures, it is converted to this format. So even if you record in 16bit (integer format) this is converted. Now this looks silly but there is a reason for this. As you do calculations on audio, the range it uses can become larger than what you started with. Suppose you recorded at 16bit and used an EQ with a large peak. Then maybe some portions of your audio would go to 18bit (+12dB) and clipping would occur. By using the 32bit float this is avoided as the range is extremely large (several 100's of dB's). So you can later scale everything back to the 16bit (or other) range of your final medium without loosing anything in between. Use it, you will gain in the end even if it means an extra step at the end to convert to the final bitdepth.

As for hearing something on a standard cd player: have you finalised the CD? A standard cd player cannot read multisession cd's. Do not burn the .wav as a data file, but as an audio file. Read the doc of nero or whatever you use.

OK, I went under Edit and changed it to 16/44.1. then I saved a copy as %^$&$ to another file in my Docutments. For some reason it wouldn't burn through CEP.....even though it tried and said it was complete, there was nothing on the CD.

I then went into the file ane opened it up with Windows media player and burned it to a CD......that worked. I then put it in my Home Stereo CD player, but it was all scratchy sounding. I then tried it back in my PC and it works fine there. I looked under details on the file, and under "TYPE", it says "Wave Sound"

Thanks for the info on the 24/96 stuff, I'm not sure I quite understand it all, but in time I guess.

So what the heck have I done wrong now??

Rick

It must have been in my CD player it's self.......seeing that it's an older model fromt the late 80's (JVC XL-V5500) I still use it because well it sounds good, and it's got an "A-B" feature that allows me to capture any length of time off of the CD and loop it over and over again - I've used this to figure out guitar solos for years. :)

I tried the CD on my MAIN Stereo and it worked fine as well as on my Kenwood deck in my van. :cool:

Now I just need to post it somewhere where I can get some feeback on what steps to take to make things better. :)

Rick

the easy way to do it is go to edit and select mixdown and select mixdown to CD, it will automatically convert your shit to 44.1/16. then you can add whatever files u want to the burn list..wait youre using AA right?

Well sort of, I've got CEP 2.0 right now, and I've got the update for AA 1.5, but I've not installed it yet. :o

I just recorded a bunch of sound clips of my 50th Ann. Deluxe Strat and my Modded Carvin Belair. (I think they turned out very nice considering it's my "first time out" :) )

I need to figure out how to post them now.....Is "Soundclick" one of the better hosting sites to use?

Can I post the wav files, or do they have to be converted to MP3?

Thanks a bunch guys!! I really feel that this has helped my get past some of the "Willys" that PC recording has been giving me!

Rick

Back