CEP swapping tracks between sessions

dobro

This is some kind of file management issue.

I make copies of my original tracks and save them in folders with different names. I edit the copies in different ways, and burn 'em to CD so I can compare on different sound systems. So far so good but today when I went back to the original track the copies were made from, I found that CEP had somehow substituted the most recently edited track for the original track. No sign of the original. Not only that, it had substituted the same edited track in EVERY COPY I'D MADE OF THE ORIGINAL.

This is a huge pain in the ass, and anywhere else you care to mention.

Two questions: does anyone know why this is happening, and more importantly, how to prevent it? I know you have to be dead careful when you're saving stuff because CEP tries to save things in the wrong folder, but this new problem is outrageous. What am I doing wrong?

I dont know what you did... but Ill tell you what I do, with anything important to me at all:

I do all my tracking... and before I do ANY mixing, I dump a copy of all the tracks onto a CD. Only one song's tracks on a CD.. usually I can fit it on one or two discs. I leave the disc append-able, so I can put the rest of the tracks that I havent trakked yet on it...and I stash it.

THAT WAY, if I need the old tracks back, or if my hard drive crashes... or whatever.. Im cool.

The SES files I save on a floppy... back those up everyonceinawhile... until im DONE, then I save the SES file on the CD with the WAVs.

oxoxoxo

Yeah, as soon as I get a take I like, it goes onto a disk. But when I mix, I work on different versions of the same session, and if CEP's swapping tracks around, that really...uh...sucks.

I contacted Syntrillium, and they said something about using Save Session As when you make copies. I've been using Windows Explorer to make the copies. I really like CEP, but sometimes it acts a little dopey.

I'm pretty new to multitrack recording on CEP but why do you save session files? Doesn't it take up lots of room?

When you record stuff in multitrack, it's called a session, so of course you save those files. And yes, it takes up lots of room, but you want to save your work, right?

Later on, I make copies of each session, so I can try out different EQ or effects and then compare 'em. But making the copies with Windows Explorer doesn't work - you have to make 'em with CEP using the Save Session As command.

Back