CEP-made noises

DaveX

I make weird noises using CEP a lot. I find that I hardly use that program as a track recorder, but simply prefer it as a noise maker of sorts. I guess I use it like another instrument. Here are some wav files I stored on my homepage. Please note that the rest of my homepage is not as bland as this one.
http://www.angelfire.com/il/davexpooh/noise.html

DaveX

Interesting noises.
I guess they would be fun, if I had a use for them.

Although on my next pink Floyd-esc project I am sure they will come in handy.

MIKE

Pink Floyd-esque?

Okay, sure! I'm a fan of sampling. My rule: if you think they will be cool with it, give them credit somewhere. If they're corporate scum who sue people like me, let them go nameless.

I, however, am cool with it. Give me a nod in your credits, and send me an mp3 with my noise in it. I'd love that.

Mind one thing, though... some of these are on my album. Sampling is kin to quoting someone... so think of the context from which I use each noise in my album. If you don't like the context, you may not want to refer back to it. I consider sampling to be pretty much like what a lot of writers do at beginnings of books: they quote some poet or a whatever, and that gives the rest of the work a point of reference for the reader's thoughts.

Because of this, I use samples carefully. I think they can be used to set mood (like a quote in a book), or to conjure up an idea that is expressed best through another person's work (like "don't count your eggs before they hatch" or something like that). In our society, we are constantly making reference to common things, like they do on Seinfeld when they discuss everyday crap such as brands of candy bars... so why not in music?

Why is their a stigma surrounding samples that implies theft? Why aren't musical samples considered on the same level as people quoting Shakespeare, or artists who use "found objects" to create their work of art?

Of course, you may use my noises. By making them public on the internet, I am fairly well agreeing to their useage by others. No prob. I figure that's okay, as long as someone wasn't trying to sample like... a whole song or something, and sell that; or if they purposely plastered your name all over their album to garner your sales when you have nothing to do with it.. that would be lame. But, I've done none of these things, so I guess that's all groovy. Well, I'm going to stop now. Have fun.

DaveX

DaveX: Checked out your noises. I've gotten similar effects using Sound Forge XP to edit .mp3 files...
I also downloaded some shareware Brit S/W that was an emulation of an analog synth with a whole wad of knobs and switches to twiddle that could be pressed into service as a fairly convincing desktop Moog.
As to the sampling issue. Well it's a pretty hazy boundary between setting a mood and plundering a work. Case in point, an artist I found on mp3.com in Scandinavia somewhere (I forgot where and who, but if you want the details I'll dredge them up) that put together a hauntingly beautiful .mp3 file made of Miles Davis samples. I also don't know whether he got permission or it just slid by and nobody cared. Parallel to this issue stands the work of one Mr. Boggs, an artist working in ink that hand-draws very accurate representations of US currency and sells his work for the denominational value of the note while claiming that this is art and not an act of counterfeiting. He collects the receipt and the bartered merchandise as the trophies of his success in these 'transactions'.
My kind of troublemaker.

Drstawl-- First off: I WANT THAT DESKTOP MOOG THING. Gimmie gimmie. Where's the URL?

Second:

I figure that the pieced together Miles Davis is okay. Did he add something new by bringing those things together in that way? If yes, cool. If no, it's just a waste of his time.

My personal view is that I tend to not use sampling in so total a way as that, because I prefer using samples as quotes, and not as the whole work itself. However, that is just me. I suppose meaningful work could be created that simply pieced together samples, with no original content of its own. I'm sure many people at this BBS could agree that editing and mixing is an art, right?

I'm also fairly sure that many people who would attempt to make art entirely from samples probably just throw it together, and have no clue what they are doing... however, there are exceptions. I prefer to use samples like spice. When I cook, I don't just eat nutmeg and pepper, but I also don't see why it's wrong to use them in soup, either...

Oh yeah. Make a song that uses the words: "I feel like a bear in a helicopter." That's more fun.

DaveX

Back