cep ate my hard disk

dobro

This is important, I think.

I started to do a lot of recording with CEP about three weeks ago, and after I burned everything to CD and dumped the tracks from my hard drive, I noticed that I had very little hard disk space left, and that every time I used CEP, there was less and less free space left. This was even though I was saving everything to CD-RW, leaving nothing on the hard drive, and emptying the recycle bin regularly. I was down to about only half a gigabyte of free space when I found the answer. I noticed there were loads of CEP files in Windows Temp. I deleted them all freed up about 1.7 gigs on my hard drive!

Every time I had created a folder to put Cool Edit files in, a temp file had been created.
Every time I recorded something, a temp file had been created. Some of these files were huge - 300 megs, 400 megs. The software was eating my hard disk, or more accurately, stuffing it full of rubbish.

I'm relieved to have a solution, but I'm wondering if this is a Cool Edit quirk, or if I'm doing something wrong (somebody suggested maybe I wasn't closing out of the program properly.) Maybe it's a setting I made when I installed CEP. Anybody else have this problem?

That is just what CEP does when recording, at least in version 1.2 IT does that in case of a crash in the software or in your computer, that way it can restore the session and not have any loss of files. It saves things periodically auotmatically, much like MS Word. You can set your windows machine to empty the temp dir more often, or you can speicfy what temp dir to use when installing CEP. Hope I helped.

MIKE

Hey, thanks Mike. This sounds useful. How do you instruct Windows to empty the temp folder of stuff you don't want?

I knew you were going to ask that, and the truth is I can't remember for the life of me. I will look into it and let you know as soon as I think of it.

mike

Okay, here's something I found: in CEP if you click on Options...Settings...System, there's a box you can tick called "Delete Clipboard Files on Exit". This should do the trick, but doesn't in my case. I've contacted Syntrillium, and will let you know what they come up with.

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 02-08-2000).]

They'll probably tell you it is a problem with your soundcard...

Back