CE Pro slows down on playback

Bill L

Massivdonian
I've been using CEP for a couple of years and I've never had this problem. I recorded about 74 min of audio as 1 stereo track, edit it as I normally do and save. When I play back the file, it plays slower and slower until it's barely playing at all. Once a file like this plays, all the other files play like that as well. I have some multi track sessions and mixdowns from other projects that worked fine but now also play slow. Anyone know what's going on and why I'm seeing this? And, more importantly, how to fix it?
TIA,
Bill L

Nope...

like someone has their finger on the turntable and it's playing at half speed, and then it gets slower and slower until 120 bpm is down to about 30 bpm. I'm talking really slow!

Bill L

It's probably your computer. If it slows down on playback, you need to get more ram, especially when using plugins. Also, sometimes stretching out the bar on the top that stretches the waveform bar out slows it down. Make it small so it requires less effort for the computer.

CEP Slow down

fattmusiek wrote:
It's probably your computer. If it slows down on playback, you need to get more ram, especially when using plugins. Also, sometimes stretching out the bar on the top that stretches the waveform bar out slows it down. Make it small so it requires less effort for the computer.

It's a 2.2 gig P IV with 750megs of ram. I've burned hundreds of CDs with no problems. When viewing the waveform, it's all on the screen at the same time. I look at the clock and it's not running correctly. Very peculiar indeed.

dobro wrote:
D'you think it's the huge file size in this case as well?

I've been doing this for 4 years and never had a problem until no. Even on computers with much less power. I'm going to try bringing the wav file to a different computer and see if that plays slow. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Bill L

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Keep in mind that playback and processing speed decreases when you haven't got much free space left on your harddrive.

Brett wrote:
How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

I have 32 gigs open on that partition. Again, everything was working fine (I built this computer in Feb 03) until 3 days ago. And I'm completely lost. I think I may uninstall the program and reinstall and see what that does. Virus dats are up to date and there's no spyware on the computer either. I also can't find any running processes that shouldn't be there, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again, guys.

Bill L

OK, Good Luck Bill. Please let us know if you fix it. This may help if this happens to anyone else.

Well, I start getting suspicious about when this started happening, so I checked a few things out and tried to duplicate everything I was doing before and after this started happening. What I think it may be (but this only partially makes since, so bear with me) is that I was using the digital out on my Tascam DA-30 to the Digital In on my Echo Layla. The new tape that I was inputting was recorded at 48 khz and CEP was recording at 44.1 khz. When you first record, it sounds fine. When you save the file it slows down and every time you play it after that it slows down even more. So, last night I went through the d/a converters on the Tascam and into the a/d on the Layla and so far it seems to be OK. I really didn't get a chance to fully test it yet, but does this sound like the culprit? If it is, then why do my multi track sessions play slow? They were recorded through the Layla's a/d converters @ 44.1 direct to CEP. They should show no effect correct. I'm off to NYC for a wedding this weekend and I wont be able to check it out until Sunday. So I'll let you know when I can. But I should be able to check back here if you can think of anything else.

Bill L

Back