Can you change a mp3 file to cd quality?

Delreek

If I have a file (voice and music) mixed down to mp3 can I change it to cd quality and visa-versa? If so how?

No. MP3 is a LOSSY compression scheme. That means they throw away tons of data to compress the file down (usually somewhere around 60Mb .wav down to 3 to 5MB mp3)

There is no magic. You cannot get back what you have thrown away.

Now in some cases that may not mean much. Depending on the style of music and the quality of the material, the tossed sound may not be so noticable. But it usually is...

but wouldnt that be an awesome upgrade to AA...maybe for the next release, they should include some magic...

How about this

I create some mp3 files, they were done in saw plus. I can't bring them up in AA. Does anyone know what I need to to do to do this.

These are audio commercials I created in broadcasting school I am wanting to use them as demos on a voiceovers site that requires mp3. The files won't upload to the site (someone says they think it has something to do with the bit rate or something), anybody had any suggestions on if and how I can get this done. Or will I just have to do them again?

Delreek said:
I create some mp3 files, they were done in saw plus. I can't bring them up in AA. Does anyone know what I need to to do to do this.
Can you bring them up in other software - e.g. Winamp? If so then use the disk writer plugin to create WAVs that you can pull into Audition (Winamp 2.9 is great, I never really liked the newer versions).

If it won't load in Winamp or Media Player then its possible that it might not actually be an MP3 file. A lot of broadcast playout systems used layer II files, especially if they were made using 'broadcast quality' sound cards from the likes of Antex or AudioScience. Try renaming it to MP2 and see what happens.

It might also be an idea to post one - someone here might be able to ID what the issue is.

Cya
Andrew

I thought them when you open a mp3 in audition it decodes it and creates a wave...

Of course your not gonna magically get back all that lost data... but maybe like interpolarization with graphics it could do something, for instance adobe photoshop can upsize images by guessing the relating pixels based on the surrounding pixels... Thus creating pixels that the picture did not have. This has to be done to create more Dots Per Inch or a bigger image.

It won't be the very best as it started out since a computer is guessing what to fill in based on whats already there... but maybe it would be possible? Or else some company could develope a program. I could see it happening. They would have to have a database filled with probably 10,000 essential sounds that could try to fill in lost mp3 data based on the existing mp3 data. Anything when working digitally is now data, yes.

Interesting idea though right?

ThaArtist said:
I thought them when you open a mp3 in audition it decodes it and creates a wave...

Of course your not gonna magically get back all that lost data... but maybe like interpolarization with graphics it could do something, for instance adobe photoshop can upsize images by guessing the relating pixels based on the surrounding pixels... Thus creating pixels that the picture did not have. This has to be done to create more Dots Per Inch or a bigger image.

It won't be the very best as it started out since a computer is guessing what to fill in based on whats already there... but maybe it would be possible? Or else some company could develope a program. I could see it happening. They would have to have a database filled with probably 10,000 essential sounds that could try to fill in lost mp3 data based on the existing mp3 data. Anything when working digitally is now data, yes.

Interesting idea though right?
It may be interresting sounding...but I wouldnt want a computer guessing what I might have wanted to have in my music....

thajeremy said:
but wouldnt that be an awesome upgrade to AA...maybe for the next release, they should include some magic...

Yeah, a plug that can put into a song what was taken away, WITHOUT the plug ever knowing what was missing :confused: :D

Re-record the material via analog into CEP.

Than you do whatever you want to it.

Hope this helps, Dave

Back