Bit Depth In Cool Edit Pro...?

ghetto3jon

i usually mix from my fostex fd-8 (through a edirol ua-3d) to a 32 bit / 96khz file in cool edit pro. but i have a problem.

for some reason, cool edit will only let me record to a 16 bit / 44khz file. when i switch cep to 32 bit, and press record, nothing happens. when i set cep at 16 bit, and press record, it works.

i know the edirol only outputs 16 bit audio, but i do a lot of plug-in effects stuff, and i understand how important bit depth is when using effects in multi-track software like cep and soundforge and what not...besides, it usually works.

can anyone help me?
jon.

Step 1: click Options>Settings>Multitrack. Check the default for Recording. Is it 16-bit or 32-bit?

well, that's the problem. when i have the setting at 16 bit, it works fine. when i change it to 32 bit (which i usually use), i press record and nothing happens.

Okay, I'm baffled. When that happens (it happens a lot) I uninstall and reinstall Cool.

No, what's happened to me a lot is that I've been baffled by a problem, and then un- and re-installing sometimes fixes the problem. It's easy to do, and it lets you know whether it's the software acting up, or whether it's something you haven't figured out yet.

well, i've noticed that i can only record 16 bit audio files in soundforge, as well. i'm not sure why...i've always recorded with soundforge and cool edit with 32 bit files...and now i just can't?!?!

That was a good test to run. Now you know it's not the recording software that's the problem.

What's left? Computer, soundcard, OS.

(thanks for the help)

well, i know it's not the soundcard/interface (i've used it to capture 32 bit audio beofre, many times), and it's the same computer and os that i've used before as well. it must be a setting somewhere...

i still haven't figured this out yet...does anyone have any ideas left?

i've checked all of the setting within cool edit and sound forge, and the device properties window in cool edit even tells me that 32 bit audio is supported...maybe i need to disable the soundblaster soundcard some how or something? if anyone has any ideas, please let me know...

jon.

Is there a set up utility that came with your sound card? Perhaps there is an inadvertently changed setting there. I know that for some reason when I use CEP, the settings in my soundcard utility get changed inadvertently by the CEP setup utility, and I often have to go back to my sound card to straighten out my settings. CEP seems to be able to change my sound card settings in ways I don't yet understand, but it's an easy fix for me.

ghetto3jon: I had a similar problem to the one you describe and I stumbled upon this thread when looking for answers.

I don't know whether you solved your problem or indeed whether my solution will help your situation, but I shall relate it nevertheless, just in case...

I went into Device Properties and on the Wave In tab, set the Get 32-bit audio using: option to 4-byte IEEE float and unchecked the Try as WDM box.

It seems to work now.

HTH,
Cams

Back