Bad multitrack recording in CEP 1.2

Worthing

Hello guys, as always I turn to you, you always solve all of my doubts. So far when I had to record something in multitrack, I did it with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, with no problems and good quality (not that much because I only have a SB16, but still). I didn't like the files processing in Cakewalk and I was far more comfortable with CEP 1.2 for edition and those things, so I changed and decided to make my multitracks with CEP, after all it works better for what I do. But when I was going to record my first take, I found out that it doesn't record properly. The resulting take sounds like if I had been recording in 8 bits from msdos with a home microphone. No that I'm a pro, but that much I can do... So, since I'm absolutely sure my settings are well (everything works fine in Edit mode), and cakewalk worked perfectly, any suggestions about what the problem could be? I got quite good buffers and secs settings a while ago, if anybody has got a very very good one for a SB16, just tell me please. Just for the record, I've got a 166 mmx with 64 ram and so. Thx, and sorry for being such a lame, just don't wanna waste my time when I'm sure somebody out there knows it.

Make sure you are not using "Microsoft Wave Mapper" as input or output device.

Check the device settings. I use CEP 1.2 and it sounds quite good.

Yep, I got it

Sorry there. Just after I posted the question, I tried it up in audioforums.com and found the answer. Here it goes for anybody else who might be interested. Once again, thanks fo rthe fast answer. Only minutes!!! This is cool. See ya.

The answer to the question is on the following FAQ page:
http://support.syntrillium.com/faqDetail.html?93

Yeah, just about every time I have a problem with CEP, it's *not* CEP that's the problem. The only problem I have with it is its slowness when editing. Slow Edit Pro. And part of that is surely my computer, which is small and not fast.

Get a good soundcard, obviously. Gadgetlabs make great soundcards if you can afford one.

"slow edit pro"

Hehe!

Man, I didn't know that AWE 64's are not Full Duplex! D'oh a new one on me. I was trying to use an Aureal Vortex at one time, great gaming cards, but only half-duplex.

SB Live "values" can be had for about 40 bucks now or less, if you don't use sp/dif you can get away with it.

Dobro, "slow edit" becomes "fast edit" on our P-III 600, and we're running CEP 1.1 on THAT machine. And we spent our last dime on a Wave/824, we love it.

My own machine is a Celery 300A/SB Live and it still transforms faster than Sound Forge.

The diff with Vegas Pro I guess is that with the plugin chainer, it applies the effects AS it is rendering the WAV, which I guess would be faster- Didn't work well on my old K-6 233 though.

Back