background mixing and multiple outputs...takes soooo long

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
I have a PII 233 computer with 128 mgs of Ram. Using a Gina card, my background mixing takes forever to catch up when I make adjustments on my tracks. I am talking upwards of 20 tracks, easily, and using at least 3 stereo outputs (6 total, I guess) on the Gina. I can get away with small pan or volume adjustments on the *rubber band* envelopes, but a volume adjustment on the track fader...oh no...wait a good minute. I have tweaked, squirmed, agonized over the buffer settings, background mixing priority, etc. oh yeah..using Win 95 too. Is this normal for this older setup? Would 256 mgs of ram in Win 95 help? What do you guys get with a newer computer?

Your pushing the envelope, with your machine. Sorry to say.. time for an upgrade and not just memory. A PIII800 and a 7200RPM harddrive (for audio only) should do the trick. As well, I'd suggest going to windows 98, getting DMA to work properly in 95 is a bitch.

Depending on your motherboard, you may be able to just pop in a PIII800, what is it? If it's a BX chipset your most likely ok via BIOS flash (unless it's an ultra-generic mainboard). I bet it's LX though, being a 233. In which case you will need PC-100 or PC-133 SDRAM to replace your current memory (unless it is already either), and a new motherboard.

you know.. hes right. I usually am all about using what you have.. but my machine has a pretty slow re-mixing time, and its way better than yours, and its super-optimised. But until you get upgraded... if yo press pause, you'll let the mixing catch up... and you can also disable background mixing by double clicking the little green meter...you might try that our, see if shit stays in sync.

xoxoxo

Back