Audition's reaction to live mixing becoming slower...?

Change of POETS

Ok, I do some heavy mixing in Audition.

I've regularly mixed sessions in Audition with 50 - 60 tracks, with as many as 40 running effects (locked) on them.

However, over the last couple of weeks, it's getting very slow. I'll be mixing a session, and pan a track or adjust the volume (in real time all in multitrack view) and it will take Audition 30-40 seconds to make the adjustment in it's sound output. It's becoming REALLY annoying.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this at all? I have my buffers set at the maximum, and my system is more than capable of running these sessions.

I have a P IV 3.2 Ghz with over 1gb of DDR. The only thing I can think of that could be affecting this, is my hard drive capacity... but I still don't believe it "should" be affecting it. I have a 120gb drive with just over 20gb of space on it.

When I'm running Audition, I've monitored the CPU and RAM output, and I've never peaked over 70% on CPU and Audition has never used more than 446mb of RAM. Is this a problem? Is there a way to make Audition utilize more RAM than it is?

Any insight here would be helpful. I'd hate to move to another platform because of something like this, I love Audition. BTW, I'm still running audition 1.5 as I don't have the $ to upgrade yet. Not even sure if I will upgrade, as I have the ability to live-monitor vocals via hardware and I don't need the ASIO drivers for it...

Anyway, thanks.

-Brian

22 views and no one can help me? With all the help I give on this forum, I would've hoped one of the more Elite Audition users could help me. This is sad. :(

... and despite having 20Gb left on your hard drive, it will be slowing down with all that stuff on it. Increasing the buffers takes longer to fill, although it should smooth things out once its running.
If you only have one hard disk, the premix temp file is probably taking longer to create due to the slower disk access.
Time to clean dead wood off the disk, backup your files and defragment it maybe?

Well, I cleared my temp files (barely 15mb in there) and I defragged (which I hadn't done in 4 or 5 months.) but, it still isn't reacting very quickly.

Sessions are opening much faster now, but the reaction to mixing changes in the session while in playback are still at least 10 seconds or more.

Is it like this for everyone else? Did I just not notice it before, and now I've grown impatient?

Back