Audition as my DAW.....[please help]

dicblack

Hi all,
I am trying to use Audition as my multitrack recorder and have not seen anywhere in the manual/pdf on using a click track :confused:
Also i want to use Audition to master some tracks but didn't see anything regarding that as well :confused:
What do you reccomend for mastering using Audition?
thx

dicblack said:
What do you reccomend for mastering using Audition?
Experience, skills and you really need to know your speakers and headphones. Turn off any EQ on your amplifier. Listen to your work at different volume levels, and if possible also on different speakers/headphones. That's pretty much it.
And of course, watch the video in my signature first.

dicblack said:
Hi all,
I am trying to use Audition as my multitrack recorder and have not seen anywhere in the manual/pdf on using a click track :confused:

Audition 1.5 (not sure about 2.0 but I'm sure it has it too) has a metronome feature. If you want to use an actual click track then you may need to program some drums (in another program since Audition doesn't support MIDI) and use that. It's usually easier to record to a drum beat than a simple click, click, click sound.

dicblack said:
Also i want to use Audition to master some tracks but didn't see anything regarding that as well :confused:

You can use most decent recording software for 'mastering'. You'll first need to render/export your song into a single stereo WAV file at whatever bit depth/sample rate you recorded it in. Then open it up in the Edit view and apply effects as you need to.

Or create a new project and import that rendered WAV file onto a track of its own. Then you can add effects and stuff without applying it to the actual file. Then render that as a WAV file.

When everything sounds like you want it, render it as a 16-bit/44.1 WAV stereo file. Then you can burn it to a CD.

So the process could be like:

o Finish the mix, get everything sounding perfect and adjust any FX settings for each track as you need to.

o Render that to a single stereo WAV file.

o Start a new project and import that WAV file onto a track.

o Add some FX to the chain until you're happy.

o Render to 16-bit/44.1 stereo WAV file.

o Burn to CD or convert to MP3 from there.

Since you have access to the entire project with all tracks, you may not need to do any kind of 'mastering' on the stereo file. Most things can be done in the mix itself.

For mastering, you'll probably just want to do some finishing touches, maybe slight EQ, compression/limiting for volume, and maybe even a very subtle reverb. It really depends.

Back