Audition 1.5!

perottol

New features:
- VST support
- ReWire support (sync with Reason etc)
- Better envelope handling
- Pitch Correction (something like AutoTune)
+++

Ugrade: 69$

Any thoughts about it...?

VST Support would be VERY usefull- there are a ton of free VST plug-ins out there- not so many DirectX

I'd get it for the pitch correction alone. I bought Auto-Tune DX when I had a Win98SE machine but it won't load in my replacement XP. I don't use pitch correction very often, but a lot of times it's the only recourse when someone cannot sing something on pitch.

VST gets my vote, too. I see boo coos of software that looks really attractive...up to the point that I see "VST only".

Thanks. I checked out the pdf doc and definitely will upgrade. I like the CD burning feature and the potential for selecting a frequency range as well as a time range for modification.

"STILL NO ASIO...WTF!?"

Bingo. Are they incapable of it, do you think, or just too stupid to comprehend? Or maybe stupid like a fox? They'll sell this $70 upgrade on the merit of VST and pitch correction. Then they can sell 1.7 on the merit of ASIO and a couple other small things.

Okay, let's have your thoughts on some of this stuff - here's the list of features in 1.5:

"Integrated CD burning
Create quick reference masters of your compositions by burning gapless audio CDs directly from Adobe Audition."

Yeah, yeah. Don't mind.

"ReWire support
Stream full-resolution audio data in real time between Adobe Audition and other audio software such as Propellerhead Reason and Ableton Live."

Okay, what does 'stream...in real time' mean? Does it mean you can have both applications open at the same time and working on the same file? Cuz that's one of the biggest headaches for me working with Fruity Loops and Cool Edit - I have to close one down before the other one plays.

"VST plug-in support
Expand your options with integrated support for third-party VST effects, which can also be used in Adobe Premiere® Pro software."

Yes!

"Frequency space editing
Visually isolate and select sounds in frequency and time using a marquee selection tool in the spectral editing view, and then clean up, modify, or apply effects to the selected sound."

WTF is this about? How is this different from what we have now - highlight and apply the effect? If it's in spectral view, this suggests it's a kind of sloppy frequency selector, right?

"Pitch correction
Correct off-pitch performances and create pitch-based effects using the new pitch correction effects. Use the automatic mode for quick results or the manual mode for precise control."

This is nice, but it'll depend on its quality, right? Will it be as good as Autotune?

"Enhanced support for video
Edit video soundtracks more easily with the ability to view video frames in the Timeline and import a wide range of file formats, including AVI, native DV, MPEG, and WMV."

I figured this would come. But if you're not interested in video, it's something you're paying for (and which Adobe is taking time to develop instead of audio improvements). It signals a shift in their target audience.

"Clip time stretching
Visually drag the edge of any audio clip in a multitrack mix to fit a specific length of time with or without affecting the clip's pitch; this is ideal for making sound effects and dialog fit a given video clip."

Again, video is their imagined application.

"Automatic click/pop elimination
Quickly and easily restore digital recordings of vinyl source material, wireless mikes, DV cameras, and other production audio."

Again, they're targeting people who weren't raised on Cool Edit and its excellent click/pop handling.

"New sample sessions
Get up to speed quickly by using any of the 20 sample sessions included with Adobe Audition, or modify the sample sessions to create your own music."

Get up to speed quickly? WTF? Modify the sample sessions to create your own music? Gimme a break. This is aimed at people who don't know how to record or edit music, right?

"Vocal/instrumental extraction
Reduce the vocal or instrumental portions of a track and create a cappella and karaoke-ready tracks while preserving the stereo image with the new Center Channel Extractor tool."

Oh fuck off.

"New royalty-free loops
Create your own music using more than 500 new production music loops — for a total of more than 5,000 — in a variety of styles including '70s disco, rumba, and loops for weddings and events."

Loops for weddings and events? They're aiming this at Joe Schmoe with a video cam in his mitts and a complete lack of technique, right?

"Save custom keyboard shortcuts
Create customized keyboard shortcut sets to suit your working style."

What? Like we can't do that already?

"Flexible envelope scaling
Rescale points on pan, volume, and effect envelopes to make changes to a clip in a multitrack mix. Scale all points while maintaining relative or absolute relationships between points"

Hm? Is this something we can't do already?

Okay, my impression is that they're trying to widen their user base: they're adding really useful things like pitch correction and VST for people like us to keep us on board, and taking what's already there and marketing it as if it's new for the sake of people who want it for home video work. There's *very little* that's actually video stuff in 1.5. But all that 'loop and session' bullshit just insults the product. Wankers.

I don't even know what ASIO is, but fuck 'em if they can't do that, lol.

btw - I'm pretty much with dobro. The VST support alone might be worth it if they haven't destabilized the rest of the app.

"I don't even know what ASIO is, but fuck 'em if they can't do that, lol."

Why do I love this man? Some things are beyond reason...

So far I have successfully avoided getting any MIDI into my head. I was looking around at my gear the other day, and let's see...the mixer has MIDI ports, the drum machine has MIDI ports, the sound cards have MIDI ports, the controller has MIDI ports, maybe I should learn something about MIDI!

...Nah.

Nope...nothing interesting here. With DirectiXer I already have VST support!

What's the point? I'm still running Syntrilluim's version and am quite happy with it, TYVM.

And hey, how ya doin', lpdeluxe?

Hello, Mr Wockachucka. I'm still trying to find the "Master" button in Cool Edit Pro.

...and I am CERTAIN that somewhere in the manual there is a chapter headed, "This Is What You Forgot To Do, LPDeLuxe." Once I find that I'll be OK.

lpdeluxe said:
Hello, Mr Wockachucka. I'm still trying to find the "Master" button in Cool Edit Pro.

You've missed it. It's at the end of of the "Create Song Wizard," the last step before you hit "Finish."

Boy, what would we do without automation? I remember back in the day when people actually had to conceptualize, write, and the *gasp* play songs!

OK, that's the problem then. I always got to the screen that said "What do you want to do next?" and I'd try to type in "have a beer and watch Gilligan's Island" and the computer would crash.

Does "VST Support" mean VSTi support via MIDI tracks? Now THAT would make Cool Edit (i refuse to call it audition) a serious player...

Also, it would have been very nice to have an input monitoring feature added. maybe next time...

I'll probably pay up the $70 to upgrade to 1.5--i'm sure the autotune sounds as good as antares (if you use it in manual mode), and the other upgrades seem like they will make the program better...

--Andy

Re: 1.5...

andyg666 said:
Does "VST Support" mean VSTi support via MIDI tracks?
I think it just means we'll be able to use VST plugins as easily as DX plugs (i.e., without a wrapper).

Back