Audio quality degraded with AA 1.5

THX1136

Bonehead
Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I use AA 1.5 at the radio station I work for. When I tag a program, mix down and then time stretch at "high precision" the audio will have portions where the audio is "damaged". I'm squeezing the length less than a percent most times to as much as 2%. The damaged audio sounds like "accordianed" or crinkled tape, but only in spots. There appears to be no pattern to the damage as it occurs randomly throughout the duration of the audio. I've went in and blown the waveform up and can see the damage when compared to the unprocessed audio. Regrettably the processing must be done.

The best help I got from the Adobe forums was to upgrade versions. Since Adobe has 3.0 free now I can do that, but was wondering if there is any work around for this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Assuming AA 1.5 is still enough like Cool Edit for this to be relevant:

Time Stretch chops the audio up into a bunch of little chunks then repeats (for lengthening) and overlaps them. There's no way around it except to select Resample instead of Time Stretch. Resampling will change the pitch while Time Stretch will have the artifacts you describe. If you must preserve pitch try altering the Pitch and Time settings to make the artifacts less obvious.

Back