Another plug in Help question

1000w

I have never dealt with any Direct X anything that I know of. I've known it to be an option in Transform, but there's nothing there. Only "Refresh this list". I know that my computer has Direct X 7 on it. Question? What the hell is next? You must explain in "newbie" terms. I mean, are Direct X plugins free? Are they downloadable? Once I get a plug-in, what do I do next? I hear that Direct X is something that I'll wonder how I ever did without. Is this true? Teach me, oh God of Cool Edit Pro 1.2a.....

A plugin is a little mini program that your operating system (Windows?) and your audio editor (Cool Edit?) are happy to give a home to. You can get different plugins that perform different functions for the recordist - compression, reverb, EQ, deessers, and so on. Direct X is one kind of plugin, VST is another - you need the one that works with your system. Cool Edit works only with Direct X, I think.

Some are free, some are shareware, some you have to pay for. They are eminently downloadable. Many free ones are okay; the best cost you.

Thanx, but now what?

Dude, thanx for the help. I went to directxfiles and DL'ed a free compressor, just to check this out. OK, where do I save the plug in and/or where do I install it? Is this done automatically. I couldn't get it to show on my Cool Edit Pro, even after pushing "Refresh this list".
Thanks for helping.......

to install a directx plugin, insert your cool edit pro disc, run setup, and click on the item marked Microsoft DirectX Media Runtime. after it's installed, it'll show up on the picklist.

I FIGURED IT OUT....THANKS

Now what I want to know is VST. Does CEP1.2 support VST? Is there an initial DL like DirectX 8.0? Or do I just start DL'ing VST and do they install as simply as DirectX? Once again...thanx.

plug-ins

col edit pro does not support vst plug-ins.

---how to install direct x plugins---

if the file you downloaded has the extention .exe , then you need to click this file and go through a set up process similar to installing any piece of software....once done, open up a wave file in CEP go into edit view, then refresh the direct x list and it should then appear. some plugins are specifically for cool edit pro, most of which have the extension .xfm , if this is the case, all you need to do is copy the file into the same folder that cool edit pro was installed into...you will see other .xfm files in there.....once done, you will see the new plugin appear in cool edit's standard menus (they will not appear in the directx section)

hope this helps ya :)

Cool Edit will support VST if you have a "wrapper" and program that "sees" the vst effects and basically translates them into a DirectX understandable format (that was clear as mud). Some are free and some cost.... you get more features with those that cost. I use the one by FXpansion and like it. Check them on this link:

http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/species.htm

Then click on VST adapt

Ok. Cool. I did DL the Wrapper Lite by Spin Audio and I'm not sure It's in the right place or not. Where might I need to install this Wrapper and then, where do I save my VST plug-ins? In with DirectX? Or will a seperate folder on the desktop work?

Well, since they're programs, it might be sensible to put em into your program folder. Or you could create a new folder (you could call it 'plugins') and stick em in there. Then you could follow the procedure outlined by Redheadedboy above.

Back