Amplitude/compression question

Bildnsteam

Can someone give me an explanation as to why I am not getting a loud enough mixdown wave after recording all of my session's waves as loud as possible (right under clipping) and yes I know about the master volume control... A fellow cooledit user of mine has somehow been able to record the same way as me (right under clipping) but mixing down into a wave that extends past the 1 mark on the scale on the right in the waveform view. Wouldn't the wave be clipping at that "height"?! Also, I need some help with the dynamics menu, b/c i dont understand how to do what I want! Thanks alot and feel free to e-mail me! (Bildnsteam@aol.com)

1 Check out the thread in this forum called "the final mixdown (.wav file) is thin" - I think some of your questions are being dealt with there.

2 As for clipping, don't worry about what's happening on the screen, just listen to the results you're getting. Is it distorted or not? If not, you're home! If it's distorted, you're going to have to turn down the volume, or use some compression/limiting of some kind.

3 What exactly do you want to do from the dynamics menu? It's pretty straightforward usually.

check the input of your sound card, make sure you wires plugged in all the way, or turn up the mic volume under the vloume control. DOUBLE click on the icon on da bottom right corner, go to options, properties, "adjut volumes for recording, make sure "microphone" is checked, click ok, then check the level of the mic. Hope that helped. Oh yeah, just for you to know, there are two option for mic volume, the one you see when you under playback (thats the volume you hear when your talking) and then the record one (which is how loud the mic records.

I tried compressing my final mixdowns for a while as my final processing for a mastered track. Nowadays, I get the majority of the signal at about 40 or 50 on the amplitude view of the wave, and then "hard limit" until the "thick band" of the wave is at 60 or 70.

Doesn't make much sense reading it, but maybe the concept of hard limiting will help. Sure helped me!

Back