Amazing!!!!! Check It Out!!!

James Argo

Fancy Rock N' Roll
MAN, I just found something COOL with CEP2. I dunno if it has been recovered before here, but I just found it's so amazing. I take a record several tracks in SONAR 2XL.

Track 1 --> Kick (Mono)
Track 2 --> Snare (Mono)
Track 3 --> Overhead (Mixed L/R Cymbals, 3 Toms and hihat in Stereo track)
Track 4 --> Bass.
Track 5 --> Percussion.

That's it, no guitar & vocal part yet recorded. I mix 'em and export into single stereo wav. Now I have the .wav file. I was about to hear (& see) the result in Cool Edit Pro. I close SONAR, open CoolPro2, and open the wave. It's there, two tracks, L&R. Play it, and hear the mixed data just fine. I can hear 'em clear, mixed. Til this point, I think ALL the data were mixed into two tracks and no way I can pull one of my mixed track out of the wave without affecting the rest tracks in same freq range. Then I click on Effects--> Amplitude --> Channel Mixer. And pick the preset Vocal Cut (Although there's no vocal yet)...
Here comes the amazing part. Hit the preview, and it plays only exactly Track 3 and 5, I recorded in SONAR !!! No kicks, no snare, no bass... Just the overhead and percussion sound. I though it squeze all freq below 2KHz or sumthin', but I can hear ALL the Toms and percussions clear (which indeed have freq below 2KHz...). Just NO KICKS, NO SNARE, and NO BASS.

Hey, I though ALL tracks were clearly mixed into two tracks (Stereo), and like I mentioned, there wouldn't be any way to pull them out of the mixed wave. Just NO WAY. But there it goes... So is it right that CEP2 can UNMIXED data mixed by SONAR ? It's like taking a photo of your bed room, print it, and erasing the bed picture and see what behind it...

Just try yourself an experience, and see if you get the same thing I get here... ;)

James Argo said:
... So is it right that CEP2 can UNMIXED data mixed by SONAR ?
sorta'...but not really. I'm guessing you had the kick, snare, and bass in the center (panned @ 12 o'clock) and the toms and "percussion" tracks panned. All the channel mixer does on the "vocal cut" preset is take out the center (which is where the vocal usually sits).

However, it is cool. :D

Cool !!!
Yess, both Overhead & Percussion tracks are stereo paned. Others are mono (centered). Anyway, how does it pull only "Centered" tracks cause they're mixed already ? What's the differences between two (centered and panned) when they have been mixed into single stereo track ? How does CEP recognize 'em so accurate? Glad to know I have something to learn!!!

;)

To really try the 'Voice Cut' in CEP2, record a already recorded song from an artist in CEP2 and try it again. You will find that most if not all vocals are cut and you're left with music and harmony backing vocals. NOTE: This is just a DEMO! Good Luck.

You can do the same thing by seperating the stereo track into left and right and flipping the polarity (in proper terms:D ) on one of the tracks. Because of the way stereo "works" instruments in the center are heard in both the left and right tracks, but instrument that are panned are balanced betweened the two depending on the extent of the pan. When you flip the polarity of one track anything that was in the center will get cancelled out because the center signals that are present in the first track are also in the second, except 180 degrees out of phase.

I sometimes do what i described above so my sister can sing avril lavinge, lol. There is usually some vocal left over though, probably from a slightly stereo reverb. Try putting a very wide stereo reverb on your snare and then mixdown in sonar and use the vocalcut, I bet you will still hear at least the reverb of the snare.

Eric

James Argo said:
What's the differences between two (centered and panned) when they have been mixed into single stereo track ? How does CEP recognize 'em so accurate?
hehehe...man, I have no idea how the program does 99% of what it does. For example, noise reduction. I sorta' know what it does, but HOW it does it? You got me.

I still wonder how my phone works. :D

-c

Noice Reduction is simply done by selecting the beginning of a wave file (the part without music) and then choose Noice Reduction- Click on the 'Get From Selection' button and choose close. Then simply double click the wave to select the lot and choose Noice Reduction again and click on the ok button. You will then have to wait depending on the speed of your PC.

You can do the same thing by seperating the stereo track into left and right and flipping the polarity (in proper terms ) on one of the tracks. Because of the way stereo "works" instruments in the center are heard in both the left and right tracks, but instrument that are panned are balanced betweened the two depending on the extent of the pan. When you flip the polarity of one track anything that was in the center will get cancelled out because the center signals that are present in the first track are also in the second, except 180 degrees out of phase.

...Good explanation KingstonRock. So centered (mono) signal is "copied" into both left and right in exactly opposite phase ? And the program (CEP) determines each exactly similiar signals 180 degrees out of phase found in both left and right channel, and cancel 'em ? Am I right so far ? They really got a right name for a great product. COOL !!! :D
Is this also what AudioX Plugins - Vocal remover do ?

and...

...Welcome to the board MrMusicAu ;)

well kinda, before you use the vocal remover, mono signals are equally present in both left and right tracks. When you apply the vocal remover, or reverse the polarity of one of the tracks, the mono signals that were exactly the same in both tracks will NOW be 180 degrees out of phase. Being a perfect 180 degrees out of phase, the middle gets totally cancelled out.

What I was saying with the stereo reverb on the vocals, or snare, is that by applying a stereo reverb, you kind of widen the vocals and snare to the point that this trick will not totally work, because not all of the snare sound will be precisely centered.

to clear it up a little more, cep does very little, "intelligent" editing, it just flips the phase of one side and acoustic theory takes over

KingstonRock said:
to clear it up a little more, cep does very little, "intelligent" editing, it just flips the phase of one side and acoustic theory takes over
Thanks for that, btw - I posted in another thread about how I've never really understood phase problems or polarity, and your explanation kinda' cleared that one up for me as well.

chrisharris said:
Thanks for that, btw - I posted in another thread about how I've never really understood phase problems or polarity, and your explanation kinda' cleared that one up for me as well.

hehehe i STILL dont......

Back