Adobe CS3, CS4 or CS5

Antorney1971

Adobe opted not to upgrade the InCopy CS2 book for InCopy CS3, CS4 or CS5. This class uses the CS2 book as a foundation, but also covers what is new in CS5 & CS6?

This forum is specifically about Adobe Audition, the audio production tool now included in the Creative Suite. However, Audition only joined the CS with version CS5.5 and now CS6 so I'm not sure too many people hear can help with InCopy.

You might do better posting your query on the Adobe User to User forums on their main site.

Bobbsy, that's not quite true. I have audition CS3 which came with the Production Premium CS3 bundle I bought off Adobe about 5 years ago. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that audition CS2 was adobes 1st version after buying cool edit.

Well, back then it was never a "proper" part of the CS bundle. Adobe bought a company called Syntrillium that made Cool Edit. At that point, it was up to Cool Edit Pro 2 and they did a rushed re-branding exercise to release Audition 1.0 which was identical to CEP2 except for the splash screen and a simple command to switch between Premiere and Audition. After that, they dropped Audition from CS and provided Soundbooth instead--a much simpler audio package developed in a rush by the Audition developers.

In the intervening time, Audition continued to be developed and went through AA1.5 (minor changes to AA1.0), AA2.0 (a big re-write released before it was finished to match Adobe scheduling and fit in with Soundbooth which was being developed by the same people at the same time) and then AA3.0 (another major change and a very good, stable package). All those were released as stand alone software, not part of the Creative Suite. They were known by the Audition release numbers, not by a CS prefix.

The first version of Audition to be known as CS(x) was released in January 2011 and known as Audition CS5.5. This would have been Audition 4.0 except for the change. In May this year they came out with Audition CS6 which is the current release (and a darn good piece of software.

Anyhow, although CEP2.0/AA1.0 was sketchily linked to Premiere, it wasn't a "proper" part of the Creative Suite (I don't know which number was current at that time) and AA then went through some years in the wilderness, supplanted in the CS by Soundbooth. None of those versions had "CS" numbers and, instead followed the Audition version sequence. The first one with a CS release number was CS5.5 in 2011.

Can you tell I'm a long term Cool Edit user who lurks on the Audition forum (but has little to do with the rest of the Creative Suite?

Nice history lesson Bobbsy ;-)

These are the versions that I am aware of:-

Cool Edit 2000 1.0
Cool Edit Pro 1.2
Cool Edit Pro 1.2a
Cool Edit Pro 2.00
Cool Edit Pro 2.1
Cool Edit Pro 2.1D
Audition 1.0
Audition 1.5
Audition 2.0
Audition 3.0
Audition 3.01

You forgot the one the started it all...Cool Edit 96! It was also the first one I used--we had a hardware system (the DAR Soundstation) at work and I remember a conversation with one of the other guys about how the writing was on the wall if a basic PC could do what CE96 provided!

I didn't mention 2.1 or 3.1 because they were minor changes (a bug fix in the case of 3.01) rather than "proper" upgrades.

Hmmm...I've owned (and still have copies of) most of the above, with the exception of CEP 1.2 and 1.2a. At that point I had the multitrack option for CE2000 (a whole 4 tracks!) and didn't move to "pro" until CEP2. The only other one I skipped was CS5.5 for reasons discussed ad infinitum over on the Adobe U2U forums!

I've been struggling to align a re-recording dialog for this video I shot at school and a friend suggested I try the new Audition CS6 from Adobe with this new ADR tool. I have to say it's made my life so much easier. And trust me, it'll save you a lot of time.

Back