adobe compressors v.s compressor hardware

vVShellShockVv

I just got adobe audition 2.0 and I was just wondering..Would the multiband compressor in audition work for me or should I buy a compressor?

I record rap music just incase the matters...

whats good, i record rap music too, i don't know, most of my set-up beyond my analog strip and mic are all software.......

i record hip-hop music as well and had no problems with AA2's MBC.... actually i use it sometimes to beef up percussion aspects of my final mixes....

i dont have experience at all with analog compressors, so i guess it's all about your preference

i got tons of different compressor and EQ plug-ins hooked up to my AA2, so all i can honestly is, use whatever you are comfortable with and learn it to the best of your ability, AA2's MB compressor contains the same basics as any other compressor, so try it out, see if you like the end results and decide from there!

I just got adobe audition 2.0 and I was just wondering..Would the multiband compressor in audition work for me or should I buy a compressor?

I record rap music just incase the matters...
Go with a single band to start with (if there's one in there, or set it to single-band. The plugs are good to get you up and running and sus it out. At this point the main difference will be the plugs have un-do and give you the leisure to experiment at mix down.

Go with a single band to start with (if there's one in there, or set it to single-band. The plugs are good to get you up and running and sus it out. At this point the main difference will be the plugs have un-do and give you the leisure to experiment at mix down.
well yeah it comes with the single-band as well and actually it might work better for him pending his experience with mixing

i think i'mma go back to using single-band compression because alot of times thats all i need to use, i only mess with MBC's when i know it's one particular aspect of the track peeking too hard during the mixdown which is where the Waves C4 comes into play, alot of people fear using it because of how strong it is, but i actually like it! I'll admit it can be a double-edged sword though.....

alright thanks everyone...Imma try mastering the compressor in audition first to see if it works for me or if I would rather buy a stand alone compressor

help please!

Do you guys know where I can learn how to use the compressor for AA2.0?
Im trying to learn how, but Im still kind of a newbie to all of this...I used the help menu in AA2.0 but it still leaves me comfused...I dont have a band, Im just a solo artist and I just want to make sure my vocals dont clip when I get loud or fade away when I speak a little softer...if anyone can teach me how to use it or show me a good link on how I would appreciate it.:confused:

The compressor in AA continues to be one of the most confusing things they offer. I solved the problem by abandoning it and buying a third party plugin. I'm assured by people that know how to use it that the AA compressor produces really good results, but the thing is that you have to know how to use it first, and almost nobody outside of Geek Central knows that.

The core of the confusion is in the Attack/Release section, with its Gain Processor/Level Detector options. Every other compressor I've seen has ONE set of attack/release times. AA has two. Incredibly confusing, and way more variables than are necessary. About once a year I study the Help for that sucker, and once a year I fail to understand it. For most people, it's way too confusing.

The compressor in AA continues to be one of the most confusing things they offer. I solved the problem by abandoning it and buying a third party plugin. I'm assured by people that know how to use it that the AA compressor produces really good results, but the thing is that you have to know how to use it first, and almost nobody outside of Geek Central knows that.

The core of the confusion is in the Attack/Release section, with its Gain Processor/Level Detector options. Every other compressor I've seen has ONE set of attack/release times. AA has two. Incredibly confusing, and way more variables than are necessary. About once a year I study the Help for that sucker, and once a year I fail to understand it. For most people, it's way too confusing.
I'd love to see this. (Control-option-curiosity junky ;)) Can you stick it up?

okay so no one can help me learn how to use it huh? I think you can get classroom in a book for audition Im just not to sure if it would help much at all...I wish they had videos on all of this stuff to teach us how to use there software...:(

okay so no one can help me learn how to use it huh? I think you can get classroom in a book for audition Im just not to sure if it would help much at all...I wish they had videos on all of this stuff to teach us how to use there software...:(
Isn't there a page in the help menu that you can post? If we can define the extra controls (?) the standard stuff should be easy.

The way to start using AA's compression programs is simply to experiment and run a track through the various presets and see what happens. You'll immediately see when you're doing too much!

I have Waves native bundle (naturally, one of the older and less expensive ones) but when I'm dealing with imported tracks, I'll usually try the AA presets first, since I'm familiar with what they do.

As to the underlying question of software vs hardware, only your ears will tell you...but I get good results in the box.

Actually, you just need to call up a different compressor.

The path to the multi-band compressor is Edit View > Effects > Amplitude > Multi-band Compressor; the path to the others is Edit View > Effects > Amplitude > Dynamics Processing. I say others because there are a number of presets in that menu.

You can apply the compression to individual tracks or to a stereo mixdown.

okay thanks... Oh and can anyone give me any advice as to why my recorded vocals have click and pops in them?? is there a specific way I need to setup my hardware in the "hardware setup menu"? or is there something else that may be wrong? I just upgraded to audition 3.0 so if anyone has an answer as to why its having any problems I would appreciate it.

My equipment:
M-audio fast track pro
presonus tube pre
yamaha hs50m monitors
akg c3000b condensor mic
adobe audition 3.0

Back