Adobe Audition - Mixing Panning (L/R Cut or -3dB center)

HugoCarvalho

Hi,

I'm new here!
I got a question: it's not really a problem, is just i want to know what's better and a "why".

If i go to view > Multitrack Session Properties , in Mixing, Panning, there's 2 options on it: L/R Cut Log. and -3dB Center.

For testing, i choosed a song from a known band (just for testing purposes), and imported it.
If i choose L/R cut and export it, it will sound the same as the imported one.
If i chosse -3dB center, it'll sound "quieter", but i believe it's solved by adding +3dB to the master bus.

But what i want to know is,
- what's the difference between them (apart of the "volume level");
- technically, what happens in each of them?
- and, which one would you preffer?

I'm working on 32-bit.

Thanks a lot,
Hugo.

These properties are known as panning laws. Here is an excerpt from the Audition 3.0 help file

"Panning
Sets the method used for panning waveforms in a multitrack session.

L/R Cut Logarithmic (default) achieves left‑panning by reducing the volume of the right channel, and right‑panning by reducing the left channel volume. The channel being panned to doesn?t increase in volume as panning gets closer to 100%.

Equal‑Power Sinusoidal pans left and right channels with equal power, so a hard pan contains the same perceived loudness as a center pan. For example, a hard pan to the left amplifies the left channel by 3 dB. This option reflects analog mixing boards.
Note: Because panning can actually make one channel louder than the original waveform, audible clipping can occur in 16‑bit sessions. To avoid clipping, work in the 32‑bit realm if you use the Equal‑Power Sinusoidal method."

There is an additional description at the link below

Tech Tip - Panning Laws Revealed | Musician's Friend

These properties are known as panning laws. Here is an excerpt from the Audition 3.0 help file

"Panning
Sets the method used for panning waveforms in a multitrack session.

L/R Cut Logarithmic (default) achieves left‑panning by reducing the volume of the right channel, and right‑panning by reducing the left channel volume. The channel being panned to doesn’t increase in volume as panning gets closer to 100%.

Equal‑Power Sinusoidal pans left and right channels with equal power, so a hard pan contains the same perceived loudness as a center pan. For example, a hard pan to the left amplifies the left channel by 3 dB. This option reflects analog mixing boards.
Note: Because panning can actually make one channel louder than the original waveform, audible clipping can occur in 16‑bit sessions. To avoid clipping, work in the 32‑bit realm if you use the Equal‑Power Sinusoidal method."

There is an additional description at the link below

musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=102097]Tech Tip - Panning Laws Revealed | Musician's Friend[/url]

Thanks, I'll check it out!

A good reply from ErichS.

However, as long as you don't move sessions from one recording software to another, neither setting should bother you. That is, while mixing, you will be setting the level of each instrument anyway regardless of where it is panned. If you set an instrument to dead center and it sounds too loud, turn it down.

No matter which setting you choose, it should never ruin your mix because you should always pay attention to the levels.

Back