24-bit Recording????

sirpunkly

My sound card does support 24/96 recording but how come when I choose the input for a channel in cool edit pro, it only gives me the option of 16-bit or 32-bit?

sirpunkly said:
My sound card does support 24/96 recording but how come when I choose the input for a channel in cool edit pro, it only gives me the option of 16-bit or 32-bit?

yeah, why can't we choose 24bit?

i have the M-Audio Omni Studio and i want to use 24bit. Cool Edit is my all time favourite multi track software and i'm not willing to use another software.

soooo?

i think i figured it out.

go to 'device poperties' and select 3-byte Packed PCM.

this enables 24bit recording if i'm not mistaken.

can anyone confirm this?

You can choose 32-bit.... there's no such thing as 32-bit outside of the context of s/w -- in reality thet are 24-bits with an additional word for DSP calcs.....

Blue Bear Sound said:
You can choose 32-bit.... there's no such thing as 32-bit outside of the context of s/w -- in reality thet are 24-bits with an additional word for DSP calcs.....

and now in english please....for those of us who aren't too familiar with the "slang"

"32-bit" resolution is an internal word size used by software only. For interfacing with other gear, it still is only a 24-bit digital signal.

The additional 8-bits are used by the s/w during digital signal processing to minimize internal round-off error. The extra bits have no meaning outside of the s/w it's used in though.... they're all still only 24-bit digital bitstreams.

Yup. If you recorded in 24 bit, that is.

I always mix down in 24 bit. Then I do last-minute level adjustments (hard limit the stray peaks a bit, then normalize, if I want it loud). Finally, and last of all, I dither it all down to 16-bit.

Then I look forward to the day when I can afford to operate in DVD video and I can leave it all at 24 bit. Not to mention 88.2 KHz. :)

I selected 32 bit everywhere , device tab ,, multitrack default, and I record,,, save ,,, then open the file ,,, It still is 16 bit. I have an audiophile 2496. Just got it. Im still trying to get it set up properlly. I cant "monitor, or preview" my recordings either. I can only hear the output when I play something back ,, not when I record or am setting up. I just added the card instead of my soundblaster live. Can anyone here help me?\

thanks in advance
tj

tj jr. said:
I selected 32 bit everywhere , device tab ,, multitrack default, ... thanks in advance
tj
Couple of questions:

So you're able to record in 32/24 bit, and SAVE it that way, right? So the card is definitely not the problem. And it's only when you open the file up again that it's in 16 bit? So when you click on the 32 bit file that you've previously saved, CEP can't open it immediately, right?...like there's some processing happening to the track before it can open it, and when it opens it, it reads as 16bit in the lower part of the screen? If that's the deal, then there's one more button you need to check. I know you said you selected 32 bit on everything, but are you SURE you don't have "open files as 16 bit" checked in EITHER the multitrack OR the edit panels...(don't forget, there are different options for each, so checking 32bit everything in one panel doesn't necessarily make it universal...in fact, you mentioned that you selected 32 bit in the device and multitrack tabs...how about the DATA tab. Make sure yours looks like this (with respect to the check boxes, that is).

Good Luck.

Attachments

• data-tab.jpg
    data-tab.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 157
Oh, I think your other problem is unrelated, by the way. Your sound card just hasn't been configured yet, or it got "unconfigured."

I honestly don't know enough about that card to help, but chances are that there are at least 2 different configurations you need to mess with...The control panel for the soundcard, AND the windows mixer (if you're using windows)...you know, the little speaker Icon.

This issue comes up all the time, and I think there's a pretty good step by step process to fix it on the syntrillium site if you look under "FAQ"...it's probably the most asked question.

Back