X2 Producer won't record 24-bit

arcticranger

Yes I am still on X2, I don't see any reason to upgrade since I use 1/100th of existing features as it is.

I've got both my Sonar and Windows 10 audio settings at 24-bit 44100 but my recordings always produce 16-bit wav files. I am using a Saffire USB 6 which is a 24 bit interface. Sonar's audio is set to WDM/KS Triangular and the only boxes checked are Use Multiprocessing Engine and Use MMCSS.

I also have Reaper which has no problem creating 24-bit files. I think Reaper by default uses an ASIO driver which overrides Windows audio settings which simplifies matters.

Any ideas on why I keep winding up with 16-bit wav files?

Yes I am still on X2, I don't see any reason to upgrade since I use 1/100th of existing features as it is.

I've got both my Sonar and Windows 10 audio settings at 24-bit 44100 but my recordings always produce 16-bit wav files. I am using a Saffire USB 6 which is a 24 bit interface. Sonar's audio is set to WDM/KS Triangular and the only boxes checked are Use Multiprocessing Engine and Use MMCSS.

I also have Reaper which has no problem creating 24-bit files. I think Reaper by default uses an ASIO driver which overrides Windows audio settings which simplifies matters.

Any ideas on why I keep winding up with 16-bit wav files?

i am confused

i thought wav files were 44.1 16 bit by definition
or is that only when you put a wav on a cd

i am confused

i thought wav files were 44.1 16 bit by definition
or is that only when you put a wav on a cd

WAV files can have different bit depths and sample rates. For example, video typically uses 48khz as a sampling rate.

It is CDs that use 44.1 and 16bit.

I dumped Sonar X2 for the free Bandcamp version of Cakewalk. Much cleaner interface!

Now I can record at 24-bits but the ASIO driver requires a 48K sample rate for some reason. Using WDM I can record at 44K. Not sure why, or whether one is better than the other.

I dumped Sonar X2 for the free Bandcamp version of Cakewalk. Much cleaner interface!

Now I can record at 24-bits but the ASIO driver requires a 48K sample rate for some reason. Using WDM I can record at 44K. Not sure why, or whether one is better than the other.

44 is often the default. 48 is used often for video. I use Reaper and I can change from 44 to 48 and back depending on what I am doing. However, I don't pay a lot of attention to this, so sometimes it's 44, sometimes its 48 and it really makes no difference.

2nd Focusrite Call

The first Focusrite support guy was wrong. I clicked on my ASIO panel in Bandcamp Cakewalk (i have to stop calling it Sonar) and realized there were 2 sample rate options, 44 and 48K. Mine had been set at 48K which caused Cakewalk to throw up an error when I set it to 44K. Setting the ASIO driver to 44K fixed the recording issue.

Another call to Focusrite confirmed that the interface works at both sample rates.

focusrite-sample-options.jpg

Back