white noise ghosting when recording

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
I have a Pentium II 400Meg 128 meg sdram system and an AWE Gold sound card. And C/w express.When recording audio through a mic there is a terrible amount of white noise sound laid over the top of any recorded sounds, its intensity follows the sound being recorded. To prove it is being triggered by the recorded sound, if I just record the mic with no audio sound input - absolute perfect silence during recording and play-back. So I can conclude its nothing to do with the mic which is going straight into the mic input in the s/card. It only occurs when the mic is recording an audio sound. But then, if I save the track with the white noise to disk, quit out of the file and then bring it back up from disk to play it, the noise disapears and the recording sounds fine!Any ideas anyone?

Ahhh! The AWE-card! Those were the days....

The thing is that the AWE is not a full duplex card. It will add a white noise to the output when you record, and sometimes that noise won't go away until you restart the program...

Sorry 'bout that... it's just an old card. Why not upgrade to the SB Live?

Thanks moskus. I was had understood that the AWE gold was a half duplex card but thinking about it your answer does make sense. I notice that on the creative web site they are offering a discount voucher for any sound card or speaker set at the moment. They are probably trying to get rid of all the SB Live! cards before Audigy comes out. I have decided to upgrade to the SB Live!Platignum as you suggest. Again, many thanks

Now here is a funny thing.....

I can understand the explanation about the AWE not being a full duplex card and adding noise when recording. As I said, this disapears after saving it, and re-loading from disk into CW. But....I have just upgraded from CW Express to Home Studio 2002, and the noise is also saved! So now I have to record (until I upgrade my sound card to a full duplex device) using CWE, and play back using HS2002! Why does one program save the noise and the other not? Any explanations to that one?

The AWE card is sort of a fake full-duplex. It cannot play back at full fidelity while recording. So what you hear is something like 12-bit audio while you are recording something else. When you just play back without recording, everything sounds right again.

Thanks Al Chuck. I knew you would know! Looks like a new sound card for me then and quick.
S/B Live! here I come.

SB just put out a new card called the Audigy... they'll probably be closing out the Live line soon...

The problem with the Audigy card is that Creative are not saying when they are going to release it and second, the price is going to be high. I read a post on a US web site that the Platinum version (which I would want because it has the break out front panel) is going to be approx. $250. That means in the UK it will be 250 pounds sterling ($320). And thats too much. At present, I can get the s/b live! platinum for 148 pounds sterling, equivelent to $220. And thats a very good price. Don't forget, we have to suffer import duties, freight charges and retail tax which adds 15% +17.5% = a premium of 32.5%. Which is why what we pay in pounds is the same as you guys pay in dollars. Even though the dollar is a third down against our pound. Which is why whenever I get to the states, I take an empty suitcase with me and fill it with electronic goodies and clothes!

I get similar probs with my Creative Vibra 128 (crap card). Is this also a fake full duplex?

Back