When is clipping REALLY clipping?

Conrad Josepi

In the Cakewalk console view, you can monitor your input meters during recording.

If the levels get up to 0db, you get the red light, indicating clipping.

I did some experiments last night to see what the effect of clipping was on the actual audio track. It appears that even thought the signal appears to be clipping a small amount, there dont seem to be any audio "repercussions". I can't hear any distortion.

If I push the levels WAY past the clipping point, I can hear distortion.

So, when does clipping really occur?

Can I assume that Cakewalk's meters are giving me a "safety zone" of headroom?

I appreciate any and all responses!

Conrad Josepi

You need a much better V/U meter than CW provides to even try to calibrate the "safety zone" you're speculating exists. I don't think it's a safety zone, just a mistake! Both Cool Edit and Vegas Pro have much more resolution in their output meter displays and seem to be very reproducible. I've heard a .wav file played back through the Gina that showed a few peaks in the red but no clipping distortion evident that when burned onto a CD and played back through a CD player <did> clip. But I've never heard a .wav file that stayed on the cool side of 0 dB (Even <0.1 dB away from the line) burn (according to Cool Edit or Vegas Pro)a CD that clipped in the CD player.

Back