Werid, weird, weird.

Stephen Jones

Hey. There's been some weird stuff happening with my computer/Cakewalk lately (v. 8.04) - I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice for me. Here's my shpiel:

I'm currently working on a song with 14 tracks of WAV audio, about half of them have been muted and archived. Recently I went to mix it down and Cakewalk wouldn't do it. There was no error message or anything, just that it wouldn't do it - processing for about half a second, then nothing. I restarted the computer - still wouldn't do it.
I decided to try temporarily deleting some of the archived tracks. This did the trick, and I worked out that with about 10 of the tracks left I could mix the song down - anything more was giving me problems. Fine.
Then I went away for a couple of days, and when I came back just for a laugh I tried to mix down all 14 tracks again. This time it worked fine, which was very strange. Then I decided to copy all of the 14 tracks and paste them down into the song starting with the first unused track - so now I'm using 28 tracks, just to see how far i can go. Tried to mix it down and it worked fine!!!!!!
So now I'm really confused. Was there a ghost in my computer for awhile? The only change I've made to the computer recently is to add 128 Megs of RAM (from crucial.com). So I'm using a total of 256 and I have a Dell 350 Pentium II with a 10gig hard drive. If anyone can help me solve this riddle I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
steve

Check RAM MHz

I've experienced the same thing on my old PC (Pentium II 350 MHz) when I added 128 MB RAM. It turned out that the difference in MHz between the two RAM-chips caused Cakewalk to be unstable... One chip was 100 MHz, the other 133 MHz.

Is it possible, during the times it didn't work, that you may not have had any tracks selected? I thought that mixdown (now file/export_audio in sonar) was dependent on what tracks were selected. just a thought...

Hi again.
Well, I ran a RAM diagnostic last night (courtesy of simmtester.com), and it appears the RAM is fine.
Also, yeah, I tried selecting and then not selecting the tracks - didn't have any effect on the outcome.
Anyone have any other ideas?
Weird weird weird,
steve

The ONLY time that cakewalk will exhibit this sort of behaviour is when a small portion of audio is selected somewhere. Then the mixdown will be of only that selection. So that being said, I would have suspected that somewhere, in one of your tracks was a small clip that was selected. Even a fraction of a beat will do this to your mixdown.

I would suggest that the next time this happens, selectively archive each of the tracks you wish to bounce and narrow it that way first. Then look at that track in the audio view and zoom way in, then scroll slowly thru it to find the offending clip.

Hope this helps.

Back