Waves replaced with silence! desperate.please help

Richard sagman

any one with compassion
i have been recording with cakewalk for a few months & had success & joy.
My c drive is now full & i set the audio options - advanced -data directory to save my waves on another hard drive.
i then tried to play my songs & all the waves have been replaced with silence.
i reset the audio optionas to the original but its no returned my waves.
i know they still exsisit cos ive found them as seperate waves but i cant get the computer to recognise them.
I have limited computer knowledge ( hey im a musician) so if you understand the problem please explain as if to a moron.
I am desperate 3 months of hard work are gone & ive lost the urge to keep recording.
please help
richard

I gave up on CW for audio a while back, so I know how you feel. But don't give up just yet. Clarify what's going on and I'm sure someone here will sort it out.

Did you save these files as .bun files?
Was each .wav file rendered using the "exported to wav" command?
Are these .wav files playable with Cool Edit or Media Player?
Just how full have you left your C Drive; i.e. number of MB free?
What drive/directory do you have set to keep "takes" up until the time you use the "save"
command?

did you change the folders in globel options?
make sure you point to the right folders in both places.
good luck
dave

Richard,
The same thing happened to me a while back.
The way I got my song back was to simply restart my computer. I hope this helps.

cruz

thanks for the help so far & to anyone trying.
to clarify my situation & maybe find the solution.
I dont know what a .bun file is so i doubt i set one up.i didnt set an exported to wav file that i know of.
yes i can find the files & play them with my media player but i cant get the program to recognise them even if i set the original settings again.maybe the files im hearing with the meadia player are back ups or not the originals i was using.i just dont know.
my c drive is 2 GB & i got down to %4 free space then panicked,transfered the data directory place ,got silenced & then when i returned to the original settings...nada.
there must be a way.i tried manualy pasting it all back together...dont even ask the results.
Thanks for any help please keep trying to help me find a viable solution.

its me again.
is there a way to open each file with seperate global settings?
I end up changing the settings when im looking for different songs i recorded in different places then losing sound on both.
its a nightmare !!

I had asimalar situation recently. where i lost a song. Ibelieve a the file that puts all the files together for one particular song got corupted,and ther was no way to put it all back together. In the future the way i'm doing it is to save my wk. to a bundle file in a different folder than the cakewav data. I also have a burner so I burn the bundle file to cd if I really want to make sure I have it backed up.
good luck
dave

I sometimes run out of room in the middle of a project and have to switch to my second harddrive to keep any new song's data. When I get to mixing down, I have to switch back and forth between these to directory paths to mix the whole project (again, some songs are on one harddrive and the rest are on the other).
About creating .bun files and backing them up to CD, that is the best thing in the world you can do for any project. Just making a .bun file does not keep your recordings from getting corrupted. I lost several songs one time because the .bun file went bad. Burning them to a CD is about the safest way to save your work. Now with the CDRW drives, it is possible to reuse the same CD for the same song. I have an old CDR burner, but it is still worth doing.

if you can play it with mediaplayer
i think they're wavefiles
look at its extension ( like i.wav ,wav is extension )if not just tell us what's it
if so you just use insert wave in cake to
bring it in til you're satisfied then click save to .bun will save all audio and midi
everyone faced this experience
i lost my cyborg.bun
and had to redid it a month

Back