WAV: Cannot overdub vocals without grabbing preexiting wavs

sampopromo

Probably a really basic question, but I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

In Cakewalk, I am recording wav files of vocals. I need to hear the playback of previously recorded vocals when I record new harmonies onto a new track. But when I record the new track, the old track also appears. (ie., I cannot record a clean new track. The new track always includes the new vocals layered with whatever wav was playing when I recorded)

I have tried assigning the vocal tracks to different channels.
I have tried changing the record options (sound on sound/ overwrite)
I have tried different connections to my computer from my sound board. (will still record the old wav onto the new track even if everything is unplugged.)

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sampo from Finland

You're using a Soundblaster right?

You need to open the Windows Mixer (or Creative Surround Mixer) and set the recording source to "Line In", NOT "What U Hear"... :)

This happens with other cards as well - when the recording source is set to Stereo Mix, or some facsimile.

However, the fix is the same as moskus gave you, change the recording source in your Windows mixer to Line In (assuming you are connecting to the Line In port of your sound card). :)

thanks! Sounds like the right solution

Hey, big thanks you guys. I'll go try that. I am sure that is the problem and solution (I am using SOUNDBLASTER)

:D

Much appreciated!!!

Still Need Help with WAV/Cakewalk overdub

The advice worked in getting rid of the wav overwrite by playing around with the windows (soundblaster) mix function and cutting out the wav, but it also killed the wav that I need to hear in the mix, so it wont work. (The music tracks are a wav file that needs to be running while recording the vocals.)

I have Soundblaster card.

There is a line running out from my computer to the mixing board (to hear the music) from the first orange "out" port. The line running back in from the mixing board goes to the pink "microphone" port.

I know this must be a really basic answer, but I tried screwing around with just about everything before humbling myself on the board here.

Sorry. Hope someone can help.

Sampo

It sounds like you have everything set up wrong.

I don't have time tonight, but if no one else comes along in the meantime, I'll try and post something for you tomorrow.

It sounds to me like you are running the Main Outs from your Mixer into the sound card, which means you will record everything you hear in your mixer. Try using Channel Inserts or Direct Out just from the channel you are recording into.

More later. In the meantime, post more information. What mixer? How is your cabling set up?

Yup, we need to know your mixer & spec (channels, aux, etc).
Actually, it's easy.
1. Plug your mic / instrument into mixer. (eg. Channel 1 and Channel 2)

2. Route mixer's aux 1 and 2 to SB's Line in (Never use Mic In!!!) You may need Y cables (mono - mono To stereo mini jack).

3. Route SB Line out to mixer's stereo channel (MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE STEREO CHANNEL'S AUX KNOB ALL THE WAY DOWN).

4. Route your main out to studio monitor (if you use ones) Or use headphone for recording.

5. If you record Mono, set:
Channel 1 --> Pan Cnt or L --> Aux 1 open -->Aux 2 Close.

6. If you record Stereo, set:
Channel 1 --> Pan L --> Aux 1 open -->Aux 2 Close.
Channel 2 --> Pan R --> Aux 1 Close --> Aux 2 open.

The signal will be routed to your SB Line, thru AUX. The signal from SB Line out will be sent back to mixer, so you can *hear* both signal, but only signal from Channel 1 and Channel 2 will be recorded to Pc. Signal comes to stereo channel won't be routed back to SB, cause you close the aux knob as mentioned in step 3 above. Use Headphone for monitoring while recording...

Hope it helps
;)
Jaymz

Back