using SIR impulse reverb in sonar

bryank

does anyone know how to use this darn thing!? i download it ( awesome that is free), and got some impulses. every time i turn the thing on in my effects bin in Sonar 4, i get pops/clicks/fizz like crazy! its not the typical 'high CPU' pops &clicks, cause my CPU % was under 20%....................

what gives?

so i got a latency buffer (i got the one that was recommended from the SIR web site) and i dont know how to put this all together. I put both the SIR, and the latency delay in the same effects bin,......but nothing changed. it still sounds like junk.

if anyone has used this, and knows how to properly use it in Sonar, please help......im ready to give up.

I've used it without any problems - although it is a bit of a resource hog.

The VST adapter in Sonar already has a built in latency compensator, so you shouldn't need to use that other program. Perhaps you don't have it enabled (although I would not suspect that it would cause the problems you are having).

You need to run the VST adapter, and when it recognizes SIR you can open it up to confingure the properties. My recollection is that there is a checkbox to enable delay compensation. (Sorry for the inexact instructions, but I'm not at my DAW right now.)

ok, i see. i did use the VST adapter, and that was able to make te program run in my effects bin. i DO hear a reverb when the effcet is on, but it sounds like poop.

when talking about configuring the properties......do you mean configuring the properties in the SIR program itself? or configure the properties in ?SONAR

bryank said:
when talking about configuring the properties......do you mean configuring the properties in the SIR program itself? or configure the properties in ?SONAR
Neither. I meant configuring the properties in the VST adapter program.

As for using the effect in Sonar, my recommendation is to place Sir on a Send (aux) Bus and set the wet/dry ratio (in SIR) to 100% wet.

Then, on the track you wish to add the reverb to, toggle the Effect Send to "post (fader)" and then adjust the amount of reverb by raising or lowering the "send" level.

ahhh i see. i didnt know you could configure things in the VST adapter.

thanks for the tip! good info to know!

bryank said:
ahhh i see. i didnt know you could configure things in the VST adapter.

thanks for the tip! good info to know!
As I mentioned, I'm not at my DAW right now and I forget exactly what parameters you can configure, except for delay compensation. However, I've never had any need to change anything from the default configuration. Even with SIR, the delay compensation was automatically enabled.

i got it to work just fine, but whats making to pops and clicks is the VERY high useage of CPU consumtion. It seems to idle around 15-20%, but every other 3 or 4 seconds...it spikes up to 50%.....whcih then causes the clicks and pops.

i really like this reverb...very lush. i just need to adjust the settings a bit more to keep the CPU usage low.................

well, after multiple attempts....its just too much of a CPU monster. i tried to run it in an effects loops of a multi-track recording im doing ( about 8 tracks total, each track has some effects on it).....and the minute i plug that SIR in and turn it on....."bam!"....itstant dropout of audio cause by CPU overload.

oh well.......i guess ill just stick to my lexicon pantheon reverb instead.......... :(

You can try raising your latency settings - although this might create other problems if you are using Input Monitoring.

Or, get a faster CPU/more memory.

i tried to up the latency settings, but it didnt help. i thought my computer was decent, i have 2 memory sticks (total of 756), and the mother board is a AMD anthlon 2.0.

ill just stick to my usuall reverb......................

Back