Using Cakewalk to record a Loud/Heavy Demo. Can it be done succesfully???

PROZAK

Well my second day using this site!!
We are a pretty extreme rock band (sort of Korn-Limp Bizkit-RATM style) and want to record our own music, our way.
We have done demos before at studios and been unhappy with the results unfortunately.
I have a relatively new/fast PC a 24 track Yamaha mixing desk and all the essentials to play live/record etc. Can anyone suggest what our next step should be.....(We also have a good friend who is an IT expert ready to help us set up our home studio once we get the right equipment)
I believe I require a better Sound Card than my Sound Blaster Live with more direct inputs? I also should invest in a decent package such as Cakewalk....Will it do what we want it to do and how much will it set us back.
Is there anything else we would require??
If anyone responds to this Thanks in advance.

All you need is a A/D converter card. Unless your computer is used for games then I would stick with the SB Live card.

The Midiman line of cards are great for low cost A/D conversion. There are numerous others so check this site or ProRec.com for some recommendations.

As for the number of inputs most professionals suggest 8 for live recording but 4 is good if you lay done basic tracks and then build the mix by adding vocals and guitar later.

Sound cards - plan on spending at least $400 as this is the critical link in the chain.

Also get your CPU chip up around 500Mhz if you can. Around 200Mhz you may not be happy with the results. Push your ram to at least 128MB more is better.

Most critical buy a new hardrive that runs at 7200RPM and don't use it for anything but audio. Keep it defragged every session.

What else..

Cakewalk - Use it. Love it. A little daunting at first but after 3 weeks you will be doing CD quality stuff worthy of bragging rights, showing to your relatives or impressing your girlfriend. Cost is around $250-$300. Check ebay.com I see it regularly being sold there. Current version is 9.0.3 but will be advertised as Pro Audio 9.0

Hope you band does great and you record the next big hit.

You can do the sound cards for much less. depends on the level of qulaity you desire.

I have one system running the Midiman DMan PCI card and it works great for quick and dirty demos. It is only 16 bits but very clean. The cost of this card was $125. It also has a wavetable on board which is good for horns, and rock drums but little else if you are doing midi stuff.

Thanks again but I will trade in my Sound Blaster Live Pro....or whatever for a decent $300 (Approx)
Cheers again,
PROZAK

That makes no sense!!
I will trade in my current card for a $300 upgrade!! (Or there abouts)
Thanks
PROZAK

Back