Using automation

pglewis

I've used automation in CPA9 on a couple of occasions, but found it to be really quirky and a bit tedious. Has anyone mastered automation in Cakewalk? Can you give me a few tips to avoid losing 8 hours worth of tweaking due to some idiosyncratic little feature? And while you're at it, exactly WHAT does the "Update faders" button on the console do?!? I've read what the on-line manual says about it, but it doesn't really explain much.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Hi Phil,

What about the automation in Cakewalk is causing problems for you?

The Update Faders button allows you to turn on/off whether the faders in the Console View will follow recorded automation data during playback. In other words, with the Update Faders feature on, you will see the controls in the Console View move according to your recorded automation data during playback.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk Power!, the first book to deal exclusively with the Cakewalk Pro Audio, Guitar Studio, and Home Studio software products. For more information, a free newsletter, and the chance to win free products, go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In other words, with the Update Faders feature on, you will see the controls in the Console View move according to your recorded automation data during playback<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it is purely a VISUAL thing, and has no impact on the actual automation, or sound?

I haven't played with the automation much since I upgraded to 9. I have volume envelopes now. If I had post-effect volume envelopes *grumbles*, I probably wouldn't need automation at all. But raising the volume that feeds an agressive compressor doesn't really do the trick. I'll fiddle with it some today, and post some more specific questions.

Hi Phil,

Yep, it's just a feature to let you set the controls move as your Project plays back. It doesn't affect the automation data. BUT, you should turn it off while recording automation, because you don't want the controls moving while you're trying to change them. :-)

-- Scott www.garrigus.com

Back