upgrading Sonar

mixologist

hi, I'm upgrading (finally) my sonar 1.0XL to to 2.2XL tonight. Can I expect this to be seamless, or a total pain?

Hoping that once the CD goes in the machine that 2.2 detects an earlier version and updates. Is this the case?

Also, what will become of the files I've saved in Sonar 1 over the years?

Thanks for the help.

I know nothing about the upgrade, but make sure to back up all your old files. That should at least help with that aspect.

Just out of curiousity. Why are you upgrading to verion 2.2? Sonar is currently at 5.2.

becuase i'm working on a project with bandmates who have sonar 2.2, so i went out and grabbed a copy for myself for compatibility

you shouldnt have any problems transfering projects. I have done it continuously since version 2 and have yet to run into anything other than a minor tempo problem that was easily fixed when moving to version 4.

Never a peep of trouble here with any Cakewalk upgrades, and I've been doin git since about 1992 (the first Windows version of Cakewalk Pro, MIDI only, pre-digital audio...).

My recollection is that Sonar 2.0 will not upgrade 1.0, it will actually install a new copy on your machine, so both versions will be installed.

It might make sense, to leave them both installed until you are sure 2.0 is working properly.

Usually what I do when opening a project in the new version, is to resave the file under a different name. This way the old project will stay intact and be available to open in Sonar 1.0 just in case something happens.

That all said, I don't recall ever having a problem with an upgrade except with a Pro Audio project that I opened in Sonar 1. I ended up sending the project to Cakewalk and they were able to fix it. Never had any problem with a Sonar-to-Sonar upgrade.

All the SONAR "upgrades" have been really full installs where they tell you not to install over the existing directory but to install it and later, once you've checked things out, uninstall the previous version.

One other thing. IIRC, you need to install 2.0 and 2.1 before you can install 2.2. I don't believe you can go directly to 2.2.

Back