IS UPGRADE TO PRO AUDIO 9 WORTH IT?

monty

Banned
I've been thinking about upgrading from Pro Audio 8 to Pro Audio 9. I believe it is around $79. Does anyone who has done it, think it is REALLY worth it? I've read some posts on this site and Random Access, and the consensus is usually in favor of Pro Audio 9. But is it REALLY worth it? What about Pro Audio 9 Deluxe? Is that REALLY worth it? Has anyone tried Cakewalk's FX-2?

All I noticed about 9 so far is that is has a CPU/HD meter at the bottom of the screen,

you can record a stereo track on one nice mixable track

the faders and stuff seem to be better, they stay where I put them.. and I think they immproved the innards of the software (plugin stuff, cpu stuff, important stuff)
only 79 bucks? not that bad....

by the way how does your stuff sound? Check out my question "Best Words about cAkewalk 9"

Buy it. I upgraded to the Deluxe from Pro Audio 8 for $99. I hardly ever used Pro Audio 8 due to lock ups. Pro Audio 9 is greatly improved in recording audio. Just ordered a Gadgetlabs 4in 4out sound to record solely on my PC.

Thanks Zum. Don't know much about the difference in plug-ins at this point.

Thanks Henry. Ya, I got a Gadgetlabs 8-24 when they were $499. Awesome.

Hi Monty,

I had nothing but problems with drop-outs in 8, but no problems with 9. Also, the response of the faders and effects knobs is much quicker with 9.0--not exactly real-time, but close enough for rock n' roll. Also, you can create MP3 files of your recordings straight from Cakewalk in 9.0. Admittedly that part is no big deal with the proliferation of converters, but... As for Audio FX2, I bought it about a year and a half ago...save your money. The amp simulation is akin to the comparison of a $50 Casio piano sound vs. a Roland Digital Piano. Oh, I guess it gets the message across, but save up for a Line 6 POD instead! As for the Tape simulation portion of Audio FX2...gee, make my digital recording sound like it was recorded on tape? What the @#$&!

Hope this helps.
Michael S.

[This message has been edited by Michael S (edited 03-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Michael S (edited 03-07-2000).]

Thanks Michael. I wasn't impressed with the FX-2 demo I downloaded and I already have a POD. I have a good 8 track tape deck already also, if I want the tape sim. Anyways, thanks all for your input. Monty

Micheal: what? you don't like having a plugin that lets you add hiss to your tracks? :)

[This message has been edited by DropD (edited 03-10-2000).]

Back