Track view problem

MaKettle

While working with midi tracks I've encountered a weird problem I've never seen before. In the small space just above the time ruler in the tracks view screen, lines appear at random and stop the screen from scrolling. This line does not extend across the track view, but rather seems to exist behind it. Only that small portion above the time ruler is visible. The song continues to play, but the track view freezes when the time marker (or whatever it's called, time line, time thingy) hits that little line. I can't find anything in the book that seems to refer to what that line is and what it's function is. Anybody know what those mysterious lines are and what their function is, and mostly, how to get rid of them?

Thanks.

MaKettle

I doubt that it's the video card. Doesn't seem like that sort of problem. I thought that I may have accidentally clicked some feature for looping, or who knows what, while cleaning my mouse with Sonar on the screen. I inadvertantly clicked all sorts of stuff while doing that in a tired half-brained state in the middle of the night. I've only encountered this problem with ancient sequences I transfered from an Alesis MMT8. Another quirky problem with these sequences is that they all start at the second beat of the first measure, offsetting the entire song by one quarter measure. Pretty weird -- and a pain to say the least. My tiny confused brain doesn't like that!

Are you using a Celeron processor and an inbuilt Videocard? I've heard that Celeron processors sometimes do something weird video problems like this.

You serious, James? ;)

As far as I'm concerned it's a bug (the first problem mentioned I mean). I've seen it also in my beloved Homostudio2002 (but it doesn't really bother me)....

I'm sure it's not a feature. Hey, try to mail Cakewalk support! I'm 300% sure you'll get this mail:

Try searching for and deleting all occurrences of AUD.INI from your
system. There are many improvments between the way Sonar2 handles
plugins versus HS2002. Have you tried this?

a) Completely un-install Home Studio 2002/SONAR from your computer. This is
normally done from Start | Programs | Cakewalk. This will not remove
any of your files or audio data.

b) Make sure nothing else is running while reinstalling Home Studio
2002 in step 'e'. In Win 98/ME, choose Start | Run and type MSCONFIG.
Click OK, then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the
window that opens. Uncheck all items listed, click OK, then restart
your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later
time. In Win 2000, click Ctrl+Alt+Del and manually End Task on the
items you don't need running.

c) Click the Windows Start button and select Run. At the prompt type
REGEDIT and click OK.
Backup your Registry before making edits - you do this by clicking the
Registry menu, Export Registry File.
Now delete the following Registry keys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software

Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings
you may have made in Cakewalk. You can back up those registry keys
separately if you like.

d) Delete the files AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI from the Home Studio 2002/SONAR
program folder.

e) Restart your computer, then reinstall Home Studio 2002/SONAR.

:D Excuse me... :)

You damn right, Pedullist...

You must mean to answer this problem...

Another quirky problem with these sequences is that they all start at the second beat of the first measure, offsetting the entire song by one quarter measure. Pretty weird -- and a pain to say the least. My tiny confused brain doesn't like that!

And I answered his first problem... :)

The song continues to play, but the track view freezes when the time marker (or whatever it's called, time line, time thingy) hits that little line.

;)
Jaymz

Turning off the Scroll Lock sounds promising, but according to the book the track and console views can't be locked. I don't see a lock icon that can be unlocked in the track view. Is there a secret that only inner-circle Sonar users are privy too, or am I overlooking something obvious?
I'm using Sonar XL 2.0 with a Pentium III processor. I've been too lazy to download the more recent versions. My music computer is not hooked up to the Internet, and I don't have a CD-W in this one.
I don't think it's a hardware problem since I had this computer built specifically for music production and it's worked flawlessly for three years now. I'm beginning to think that it's a quirk that migrated over from the MMT8 with the sequence transfer somehow. I've never encountered this problem with anything I built from the ground up on Sonar. At any rate, thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help members of this board provide.

MaKettle

MaKettle said:
Turning off the Scroll Lock sounds promising, but according to the book the track and console views can't be locked.
Did you actually try it?

Pressing the Scroll-Lock button doesen't 'lock' the Track View, the view doesen't follow the cursor anymore... ;)

moskus said:
Did you actually try it?

Pressing the Scroll-Lock button doesen't 'lock' the Track View, the view doesen't follow the cursor anymore... ;)

The problem I'm having is that I can't find the scroll lock button. It's supposed to be in the upper right corner of the screen, or so says the book, but it ain't there, and I can't get it to appear even after going through all the view options and examining all the task bars. Where is that little sucker? How do I get to it? I guess it ran away to find a better life.

MaKettle

It's the Scroll Lock button on your keyboard (you know, the one you're typing with? :D)...

You'll find it between the PrintScreen-button and the Pause-button, over the Insert, Home and Page Up.

:)

moskus said:
It's the Scroll Lock button on your keyboard (you know, the one you're typing with? :D)...

You'll find it between the PrintScreen-button and the Pause-button, over the Insert, Home and Page Up.

:)

Ooooohhhh, thaaaaat button! Yeah, that one's still here, silently resting on my keyboard, trying not to be noticed. I guess I misunderstood what you were telling me. Next time I encounter the problem I'll press it and hope it doesn't launch any bombs. Buttons can do that, you know. Thanks Moskus.

MaKettle

Back