Tape Op article on buss compression

Middleman

Professional Amateur
For those of us who have just installed Sonar 3 and are bathing in the new buss structure, the latest version of Tape Op has the best article I have read concerning how to use sub-mix busses and compression.

If you emulate Michael Brauer's technique, you can get some immediate improved results from your mixes. Excellent article, thought I would share.

I read the artical. Very cool. I've been using parrallel compression on the busses like this for years. Best tool for drums that I know of and quite effective on other sources too. A VERY worthwhile read for any one.

I made a template in Sonar 3 to emulate this process. Man is it sweet. I just wish I had some variation in my compressor plug ins but it works well with the Ultrafunk compressors.

I need to get a multi in/out sound card so that I can put some of my external gear inline with the process.

I did not understand the EQ after the compressor bit but I think it goes something like this.

Compression on A buss followed by a parametric which is set up to only pass the low end frequencies below say 125.

Compression on B buss followed by a parametric which only passes the midrange. 125 to 2000

Compression on C buss followed by a parametric which only passes the high end. 2000 +

No compression on D, potentially some EQ.

Did I get that right or is he doing something else?

Last edited:
Track Rat said:
I read the artical. Very cool. I've been using parrallel compression on the busses like this for years. Best tool for drums that I know of and quite effective on other sources too. A VERY worthwhile read for any one.

Its a logical conclusion for anyone not using an SSL and lacking a compressor for every track. Its one of the secret glues to bonding drums and rhythm guitars and bg vox. My current desk won't let me bus compress. Id have to get a 8 channel side car do pull it off cheaply. mmmmm 14 RNC's? 2 Distressors :)

SoMm

I am doing a mult over to the main stereo buss and mixing in the compression busses too. Wow, is that a fat sound but you still get the clarity of the kick and snare.

The article mentions that the vocals are treated in a whole different way but he did not go in to it. Wish he had.

Back