Switching from 16 bit to 24 bit

Everything I've worked on in Cakewalk 9 for the past couple months has been 16 bit. I've changed my audio settings to 24 bit. Could/should I convert prior work to 24 bit?

If not, I guess that means I have to change settings each time I fire up Cakewalk to match the resolution of the .wrk file?

Certainly you can upsample... you won't gain any sonic advantage converting 16-bit to 24-bit and further, you will incur a digital generation loss (because there is always some round-off error that occurs when doing any sort of bit-level manipulation), but the degradation should be minimal (hopefully).

Thanks for the response. None of the work I've done so far is critical. In fact, most of it has just been for my learning curve. I'm inclined to convert it all if it means not having to change my settings (and restart Cakewalk) everytime I switch from a 16-bit project to one that's 24-bit and vice-versa.

BTW, I read the articles at your website. Some real useful info. Good job!

I'm pretty sure that if you open your old 16 bit projects (or would it just be the files..?) in 24 bit, all that happens is they get 50% larger with initially just extra zeros tagged on the bottom. But as you do anything to them, at that point you're actually getting the 24 bit depth benefits.
Although I'm not sure how this would work. You don't need to convert the files -no point (benefit) to that. Can you change the bit depth on an existing project? Or do you have to import them into a new 24 bit one? Change it and 'save as'?
Wayne

New problem

I found instructions for enabling the Aark's 24-bit capabilities within Cakewalk at www.aardvarkaudio.com . They solved my initial problem of Cakewalk telling me the Aark 24 device didn't support 24-bit.

But the Aark devices are not listed as sources for tracks. They DO appear in the Options->Audio list of input and output drivers in the Drivers tab. I've re-run the wave profiles, re-booted, restarted Cakewalk several times. I've tried createing new projects and opening old ones. Still no luck. Has anyone seen this before?

What sources do you get? Maybe they've just changed names... That's what happened to me last time I updated my soundcard drivers. I was confused for a week!

EddieRay said:
Even my SB PCI512 does not appear. MIDI Omni and channels 1 thru 16 are the only selectable sources.
This would be in the track input assignment properties?
How about if you insert a new audio track? (Sounds like the old tracks might be midi? I'm fishing here.)
Wayne

mixsit said:
This would be in the track input assignment properties?
How about if you insert a new audio track? (Sounds like the old tracks might be midi? I'm fishing here.)
Wayne

Yes, it's the selections in the track input sources I'm talking about. I've tried inserting new tracks. The existing tracks were audio, not MIDI, tracks. When I change to 24-bit the existing tracks are changed to a source of <none> and the selectable sources are limited to MIDI.

Are you sure it's Audio track :confused: I mean, you won't have MIDI (or Omni, 1...16) as an input option in Audio track...

Can you attach screen shoot of the tracks ?

If it's audio track, then maybe 24 bit is not supported by your audio card, thus it won't be listed as playback source.

To make use of your audio port listed in Options-->Audio in and out, you must select them (highlight them).

Hope it helps,
;)
Jaymz

Problem appears to be solved. I had the SB card set as the Playback and Recording Timing Master. Changing it to the Aark gives me back the complete list of sources. Also, the Aardvark website stated that all of the Aark profiles should have Use Wave Ot Position For Timing disabled. But I re-ran the profiler and forgot to disable that option so they stayed enabled. Hmmm.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Back